Sky Fibre Optic

Caporegime
Did Sky do something overnight? Google Mail is now showing my IP address as an IPv6 one and my account is marked as open in three different places. Most confusing.

And just asking Google search "What is my IP address" also displays a v6 one.

So does every device you use now have a unique IP address on v6? NAT sharing is gone out of the window? My iPad and laptop both have different addresses which would explain the Gmail discrepancy.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're now using IPv6 then all your devices on your network will have its own internet routable address(es) -some devices will have more than one as well. Because IPv6 allows for a larger address space, there's no need to conserve addresses with solutions such as NAT.

Soldato
Just had my sky fibre installed with the New Sky Q Hub router (so N and AC) - which I had them include in my package when I signed up two weeks ago.

First impressions are good 38Mbps down and 9.9Mbps Up.

Wireless connection speed when I am upstairs and 10 metres across from the router shows as 585Mbps on 5G :)

Soldato
Yeah, you're right. Most of my equipment has switched to IPv6 .. even the 2001 Apple PowerBook running a period OS X!

Anyone know if the Sky Q Hub Router things has an IPv6 firewall?

I can confirm it does. However there is only basic NAT (definitely on ipv4, not using 6 so can't advise) - ie no PAT can be done, so if you want to forward port 8080 to port 8080 on a machine you are fine, if you want to forward port 8080 to port 80 on a machine you cant.

Caporegime
Not that I'm aware of, but it would make sense for them to have a £25 package. mind you they used to have three DSL packages and they cut that back to two after a couple of years.

Soldato
Can anyone help with Sky's cooling off period?

You have the right to cancel your order for Sky Broadband and Managed Installation (or just your
Managed Installation) without giving any reason any time up to 14 days (“cooling off period”) from
the later of: (i) delivery of your Wireless Router; (ii) activation; or (iii) receipt of the relevant terms

That's from their T&C's.

Now, if I don't have an active line or one installed for that fact - which would require an engineer visit. Would the 14 days then start from the installation/activation date?

That's my understanding.

I'm still contemplating getting Sky and seeing what my FTTC speed will be regarding the address checkers estimates, but if it's not good enough then just cancelling it.

Very reluctant to get VM again. :/

Soldato
Whats peoples opinions on Sky Fibre Pro?

I used to be with Be for a long time but left for Zen when I got the Sky letter a few years ago.

Choosing line profiles is attracting me. I'm also loosing sync speeds with Zen (44Mb to 22Mb over 2 years) and they seem disinterested in sorting it out for me. They are rock solid connection wise and I'd rather have the slower stable connection if Sky's network isnt that stable.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
I'm also not happy with Zen customer support. They seemed disinterested in doing a reset on my line. Thankfully my mate is an Openreach engineer who did it for me. Will be leaving when the contract is up.

My only gripe with Sky is the fact you have to use their router, or need one that's compatible with their authentication system to use your own. Apart from that, the service and support was top notch.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, the only problem I seem to have is with the black SR102 router messing about every couple of months or so. It allows LAN/wireless connections but refuses to access the internet. A reboot sorts it out.

Otherwise, the network seems fine. Definitely not throttling or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom