Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Soldato
OP
Lol, hopefully this is BCM63138 chipset, most of the data seems to confirm it, however not seen anything from Netgear stating G.Fast which would be the biggest indicator of this chipset being used.

Thanks for posting that. I'm hoping it is it and hopefully the device is out soon. I took your advice and bought the openvpn client app. Seems to work well using the Asus client and keeps me working when this Netgear comes out. Thanks for the heads up on that.

According to reviews of the R7000, it seems to just get an edge over the AC68U in terms of wireless speed at distance so assuming that is true, and the VPN works which I know it will now, this device is right up my street.

Associate
It looks nice one, it will sell a lot as all in one unit with external antennas and perhaps by time can be unlocked by few tools

Looks like is a broadcom based from the first infos (63138)
No vdsl user any longer but with adsl my past experience with netgear will hold the snr low way better than other modems means very stable modem

I like it

Associate
Can the WAN port be used as a gigabit LAN port?

If you mean the the red port named internet, i guess not
Only for an other adsl/vdsl modem or cable
(only 4 lans really the yellow) ... but to make sure if you find any user guide check it out because will have instructions if can be use as lan port

Last edited:
Associate
Can the WAN port be used as a gigabit LAN port?

Well for example on the D6400, the only time it can do so is in Wireless AP mode, then it bridges all the connections together, LAN/WAN/Wireless, other than that I doubt it is possible at least for the D6400 as an example.

We shall see on the D7000 when it is released, but it would need a a special mode where the LAN ports are bridged to the secondary WAN port only.

It is certainly possible but it would need to be written into the firmware. No reason you cannot ask for such feature in the Netgear support forums if it is not there when it is released.

The firmware for the D6400 is open source to theoretically it might be possible to get a custom firmware that supports it for that model even if not officially supported.

A lot of if's and but's, but to be honest a decent 8 port gigabit switch is only around £30, you can even pick up a Cisco unmanaged one for £40 or a Cisco Managed one with Link Aggregation for £75, so even if it cannot use the 5th port it is not the end of the world )))

Soldato
OP
I can't find any owners manual for it yet but when I do, I'll post up a link. I can only see the quick setup guide. There is a downloadable firmware on their website also.

Soldato
OP
A little more information on it found from a user who has apparently been conducting a beta test on it.

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1990.65

processor : 1

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x4
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 1

Hardware : BCM963138
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

This user has also started beta testing another Netgear Beta.. this one appears to be another Nighthawk branded as D7800.. so it seems like the AC2600.

All on whirlpool forums.

Soldato
OP
According to the guy beta testing one in Australia just now but who knows. Don't believe everything you see online. AC1900 is more than enough for me anyway. That's the fastest card I have in the house.

Associate
A little more information on it found from a user who has apparently been conducting a beta test on it.

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
processor : 0

processor : 1

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x4
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 1

Hardware : BCM963138
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

This user has also started beta testing another Netgear Beta.. this one appears to be another Nighthawk branded as D7800.. so it seems like the AC2600.

All on whirlpool forums.

Awesome, finally manufacturers taking DSL Routers seriously ))))

Soldato
OP
We shall see what like when it comes out. If I remember right, when the d6400 appeared on the website, it was on sale very shortly afterwards.

If that's true regarding the d7800 then looks like other manufacturers are going to have to up the game!! I think we may see a good selection of AC combo devices this year.

Soldato
OP
As mjgr33n posted on another forum. Looks like it is selling for £185. In other countries it is due for sale on the 26th of this month.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom