PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Caporegime
Seems like this is picking up steam...

Sony is currently planning a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at 4K resolution, developer sources tell Kotaku.

We don’t know whether current PS4 owners will be able to upgrade or if they’ll have to buy an entirely new device to benefit from this power boost, but from what we hear, Sony has started briefing developers.

Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this fall. It’s unclear if ‘PS4.5’ is an official name or just a nickname that developers have been using. One developer jokingly called it the ‘PS4K’ while telling me about the device.

In layman’s terms, 4K resolution is around twice the pixel size of 1080p, which is the current standard for games on PlayStation 4 and competing consoles. The current PS4 can output 4K photos and videos, but cannot support 4K resolutions for games. With this upgrade, it would. Besides resolution, developers would have an opportunity to push more effects and other graphical tweaks to make their games look better, thanks to the new GPU.

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

A verified leaker on GAF as well has said it will be the end of the year!!!

Did not see this. Time to pack it up and go PC gaming what with Xbox doing it as well.

We're done here folks.

I think this deserves a new thread.

Soldato
Its came feoma verified source that works in Sony's dev.

The same rumours are spinning for XO but with no good sources, just based on how Phil talked.

Caporegime
Hmm should I waste time on a post on this...I have a fair few concerns on this

1) Every game will become a cross gen game - that could lead to stagnation in game design
2) No/lower maturity in hardware/software leads to inefficiencies - developers likely to only make a single game per iteration
3) Moving consoles to a PC paradigm just means higher costs to consumers - planned obsolescence only benefits the platform owner

Ill think of more :p

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Not interested in 4k (presume @ 30fps) but would be interested in 1080p 60fps locked.

Why is it a PC/monitor with 1920x1200 60fps/60Hz locked is nice but a console with a 60Hz TV can sometimes make me feel queasy. Apart from racing games.

Or it is something to do with the FOV/camera work on some games... I hate that feeling as if I've been reading in a moving car.

Associate
i dont see the issue releasing a console every 3 years
the PS4 was released in Nov 2013 if i remember right, so if it comes out same month this year then 3 years i think is reasonable.

i dont own a PS4, but if Microsoft or Nintendo did the same i would still purchase them.
how many complaining about this have a gaming PC and change a major part in it every couple of years?
because i know i changed my graphic card like 2 times in 18 months at a cost of X

others will then say, well if im changing parts/console every 2/3 years i might as well get a PC but some like myself just like the convenience of having it on my tv, sitting on sofa and just launching the game

Soldato
I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot slightly here, what would you have in shops-this games works on ps4.5 only? It would cause no end of confusion to most buyers.

Associate
They all realized that next gen is last gen... feel sorry for all the mugs that paid out for a console... me included. Though i cashed out from the xbone after a couple of months and built a rig.

Soldato
i dont see the issue releasing a console every 3 years
the PS4 was released in Nov 2013 if i remember right, so if it comes out same month this year then 3 years i think is reasonable.

i dont own a PS4, but if Microsoft or Nintendo did the same i would still purchase them.
how many complaining about this have a gaming PC and change a major part in it every couple of years?
because i know i changed my graphic card like 2 times in 18 months at a cost of X

others will then say, well if im changing parts/console every 2/3 years i might as well get a PC but some like myself just like the convenience of having it on my tv, sitting on sofa and just launching the game

Yeah but it takes 2-3 years to see a good line up of decent games for current gen consoles.

Caporegime
Even with the optimising that the console platform allows the PS4 is going to need a pretty huge bump in GPU power for 4K. Must be something like a 980 level GPU I'd have thought and that won't be cheap.

Soldato
Yeah but it takes 2-3 years to see a good line up of decent games for current gen consoles.

This is true, but maybe this explains the "4.5" bit. They're x86 architecture right? So surely you could bump up CPU and GPU speed, and then make it "backwards compatible" with other PS4 games.

I think games consoles will become something like iPhones/iOS....

Back
Top Bottom