• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New I7-6700k build falling over

Associate
Hi guys, I just upgraded my system to the following:

I7-6700K CPU
Asrock Z170 Extreme6 motherboard
Team Group Vulcan 16GB DDR4-3000 (2x8GB)
Alpenfohn Olymp CPU Cooler (using MX-4 paste)
All purchased from Overclockers and delivered today

Built it all up today to replace my I5-4690K (running OC at 4.2GHZ for nearly 2 years) on a Asrock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard with 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2400 and I'm having some strange issues.

System will install Windows 10 Pro x64 fine to a Kingston UV300 SSD but when using WIndows I'm getting some odd issues. The system keeps making these strange screeching sounds which I've recorded as best I can and posted here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_bZC1MF80bWRmdfOFZXc0gzMWM

I can't run Prime95 on the system at all, sometimes freezes other times certain workers fail. I have moved and reseated the RAM, removed the CPU cooler and repasted (I use the pea sized blob method in the centre of the CPU and temps are good) and I am running no overclock as yet. The rest of the system is fine and was running sweet as a nut before the upgrade (which I'm now regretting). All drivers are up to date and the latest BIOS is installed on the MB so I'm a bit stuck now as have no other spare parts to try out. Here is teh rest of my system:

XFX 650w Core PSU
Inno3D IChill X3 GTX 1070 Video Card
Asus Strix Soar Sound Card
Thermaltake Chaser A71 with plenty of fans for cooling
2x Kingston SSD drives, 1x Toshiba 2TB SATA & 1x Seagate 2TB SATA

Everything else worked OK before and I'm experienced with system building and overclocking etc. so just looking for some advice please.

Cheers in advance guys

Associate
If it were me i would go back to basics.

Remove everything you don't need, so pull the sound card and Gpu and run off the on board graphics.

Make sure everything is set to default in the bios and don't run xmp.

If your still having issues try to beg/borrow another psu and test again.

Its highly unlikely to be the cpu so if all else fails the main culprit could be the board.

Soldato
Give the system a couple of days to bed in. Check all power connections.

If it's still doing it the could be bad ram or dodgy motherboard.
Are you sure you didn't bend any motherboard pins?

I think sky lake can use ddr3 and 4 so try your Haswell RAM

Soldato

A system doesn't need to bed in to work properly, it's not a building. His board also doesn't take DDR3, so his Haswell memory won't work anyway...

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips guys. I tried running the Intel burn-in test yesterday before calling it a day and it fell over within about 10 seconds saying that the cpu was not stable enough to continue testing.

Going to try Darket's advice and strip evrything out and start with the basics. With the funny noise that the system is making when I am using it, I wonder if it is a VRM or something because I don't know if you can tell form the video but it definitely sounds like it is coming from the CPU area (loudest at around 40 seconds in)

Associate
run the memory at its lowest speed and most relaxed timings and see if p95 fails.
noise sounds like motherboard coil whine

Soldato

So you'd ignore it and hope it goes away? :eek: But really? That is, in effect, what you are suggesting.
Luckily the OP is an experienced system builder, but if you give silly advice like that to someone who doesn't know better you could cost them a lot of money.

Just a heads up.

Soldato
Check your temps. I've had CPUs squeal when they have got hot. Pads were a little burnt as well. Think it was on a old q9550. Not heard it on any other xhips ive had tho. So maybe the cooler isnt on right?

Associate
Whenever I've had issues like this it has often turned out to be a memory problem. I'd suggest looking around to see if anyone else is having issues with the same motherboard memory combo. I'd then suggest running just a single stick of RAM (try however many sticks you have) and running Memtest to see if it crashes/errors out.

Associate
Worst advice I've ever seen on OCUK :D

Update BIOS, and as others have suggested, unplug everything apart from power, display cable to IGPU, SSD. Testing with another PSU could be an idea also.

This isn't great advice either IMHO.

Updating bios on a system that's unstable may go wrong.

Unless your problem is specifically fixed by a bios update I would leave it alone. If the board has shipped with faulty or corrupted bios it likely won't post.

The stock bios should work OK at stock speeds.

Associate
OP
It's OK guys, I have ocntacted OCUK and they have organised returns for the CPU and Motherboard so they can test them both. They agreed that the PSU should be up to the task as its a decent XFX 650w Core Edition that has been running my heavily OC'd 4690K for almost 2 years and they said it's highly unlikely to be the ram as the Prime95 and Intel Burn-in tests both fail due to CPU instability.

Apparently CPU's are more prone to failure now than before due to the memory controllers being built in to them. I only ever remember having 1 bad CPU out of hundreds when I worked in computer shops.

I did notice that when I removed the parts to send them back, the CPU socket on the motherboard almost looked like a pin or 2 were slightly out of place, I may be wrong but I know it would not have been down to my building it as I am incredibly meticulous when putting a system together. I have to admit I preffered it when pins were on the cpu, so much easier to look at and check allignment.

I also received the STOP code CHECK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT when playing around with it, which seems to indicate the CPU from what I've read on the internet.

Gutted now though as I've spent all this money and can't use my new bits so rebuilt with the old bits for now. Also I'm starting to lose heart for Asrock as a board manufacturer as my z97 Extreme 4 was delivered with faulty on board sound, hence why I run an Asus Strix Soar (couldn't be bothered stripping the system and returning the board to Amazon as it was a present from my other half) and now potentially this board could be faulty.

What brand would others recommend to use?

Last edited:
Associate
Could this simply mean for some thermal pasts to have time to set as I know some work better once they've had a chance to get warm and settle in? Never known computer hardware to need time to settle, it usually either works straight away or it doesn't

I just normally wait for this to reach 100% when ever I add new components... Takes 3-4 working days depending on what hard drive I'm using and how long it takes for the thermal paste to set
uNe8uo1.png

Last edited:
Associate
I just normally wait for this to reach 100% when ever I add new components... Takes 3-4 working days depending on what hard drive I'm using and how long it takes for the thermal paste to set

Haha. In all seriousness though 3-4 working days is OK, if a little short, I'd extend it to a working week to make sure everything is A OK. That's just speaking from past experience.

Also pretty sure AsRock is built or owned by Asus, maybe try MSI or Gigabyte.

Back
Top Bottom