**Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server - Owner Thread**

Associate
Hi guys,

Looking to swap out the case fan, and the CPU fan for something even quieter.

Seems that the case fan just needs to be a 92mm PWM fan (was thinking of the BeQuiet! Silent Wings 2) with a 4-pin to 5-pin converter cable from ebav/china for about £1.20.

With the fan for the CPU though, i'm not entirely sure what will fit. Anyone have any experience swapping theirs out?

Caporegime
I'm now thinking of consolidating 2 HP micro servers and my Music Studio PC for one of these....

Can I put a 4790k in? will it work with 16GB of ECC Kingston ram?

What I'm thinking is running 2 x virtual machines on it...Plex Media server running drive pool and a Windows 10 download box

And having windows 10 as a main local machine running my Daw...

Soldato
not sure about 4790k - but I'm running mine with a DAW

MOXF Keyboard - Dell T20 - which is running Cubase with Omnisphere and Pianoteq 5

out to a Fiio E17K - JBL 305 Speakers

:)

Caporegime
Great what I now want to do is get a Dell T20 mini server, install windows 10 on it on a 500GB SSD. Use this as music studio PC.... Then I want to create my \\media server virtual machine with windows 10... install drive pool on this VM and then add my pool disks currently that are in my old 8.1 windows micoserver.

Is it a case of once I install Drivepool on the VM... the old disks will just appear as the pool once attached?

This is major upgrade for me so want to be clear before I do the upgrade and dismantle the old server...

The idea is to consolidate 2 micro servers and one Desktop PC into one box...

Caporegime
My cashback was approved in hours as well, did not need any special invoice.

One thing I can say is this server is very quiet.

Memory I bought 4GB of this to make it 8GB.....Crucial CT51272BD160BJ, I would guess you can get 8GB sticks as well.

And yes the Xeon chip is supposed to be better than my 8320................

Did you wait 30 days before making the claim ?

Caporegime
Arrived yesterday and wow this thing is quiet. Running Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G RAM 2 X 8GB and the stock 4GB for 20GB ram...

Transferring the pool from my microserver went very smoothly....Stablebit Drivepool is amazing.

Just awaiting a 2 x sata card and sata power adaptor so I can add another SSD

Caporegime
StarTech.com 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card - Dual Port PCIe SATA III Card Adapter

Going to add another SSD for some VM's and a third for SSD optimiser landing Zone for the pool

So my setup is

1 x 256GB sanddisk SSD for windows 10
3 x 4TB WD RED for the pool
1x 120GB Samsung EVO for landing zone for the Pool
1 x 480GB Sandisk for VM's etc...

Last edited:
Associate
Did you all wait 30 days before making the claim for cashback? Or can I just submit my receipt etc...now?

There's actually a nice little cash-back wizard on the Dell cash back site that's a step by step affair. If you enter the date you purchased it and it's before 30 days, it tells you to try again after the 30 days have passed.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it feasible to use one of these as a PC for surfing and MS Office based work (I would imagine you would need to bump up the ram but other than that keeping it stock)? How would performance be?

Soldato
Is it feasible to use one of these as a PC for surfing and MS Office based work (I would imagine you would need to bump up the ram but other than that keeping it stock)? How would performance be?

Absolutely perfect for that use - fast and very quiet

You need to factor cost of Windows on top though

Prob could get away with 4gb for that use but RAM is cheap and 8gb would be better

Easyrider thanks for info on the PCI-E cards you went for

Associate
Wondering what is the best way to set one of these up for esxi to mainly run synology disk station manager and some other VMs (mainly test stuff nothing too heavy)?

I've got esxi up and running on the dell image and got the web interface installed (I'm mac user so was annoyed at that lack of dedicated client). I've got disk station manager installed and OS X up and running and have some work related VMs from fusion I want to move over but I am unsure of how to best set up storage for VMs and DSM.

I come from a networks and telephony background so still learning this stuff. I've got two 128gb SSDs in it and the 1tb that came with it but plan on getting 2 x western digital reds to go in but from what I understand RAID is no go for esxi without a dedicated RAID card? Is a sata card and direct access the next best option when setting up disks for DSM?

And does anyone know how to make the web ui the default when browsing to my server (this was default in 6.5 when I installed that as a test VM on my MacBook). Grateful for any tips, really excited to learn more and get stuck in but wanna do everything right to avoid issues later on.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
daft question can you make a cashback claim on more than one separate order ?

I know you can claim up to 10 - but just checking they don't all have to be at same time ?

I've already claimed for one - now want another couple :)

I tried phoning cashback no. but no-one answering !

cheers

Soldato
Theres no way im going to be able to get cashback on the T20 Xeon through the rainforest somehow, im going to be getting loads of rain vouchers for xmas, unless someone knows a way?

Back
Top Bottom