How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Soldato
Meh, not the outcome I wanted for the country, but like the BoE -- I prepared for the worst. Got some dollars. A few contracts will also pay out in dollars, not too many dropping out just now either and my industry sphere (gambling, games, marketing) does well enough in recessions. We'll see nearer the time when a deal is struck with the EU.

Our two family properties are almost mortgage free, and we aren't planning to sell them any time soon, so quite a relief. Although the extension and the garden project we had in mind might have to wait a while. Though for relatives the picture is more mixed, as some are in more debt or are just beginning the climb after uni. The latter might get shafted badly if the investment in the UK freezes to any marked extent for several years.

As a Brit in Germany, nothing immediately, apart from student loan payments getting cheaper along with trips home (thanks!). Uncertainty over our rights here isn't really a concern as we were planning on buggering off to Canada in the next few years anyway, but due to the toxic socio-political atmosphere in Europe we're pressing ahead to make that move as soon as possible.

But the Canada thing does sound more like a potential plan by the day.:) Even Hilton or Mr Wrexit as he wants to style himself now is in Cali atm, or thereabouts. So the implied advice seems to be to wait it out across the pond.

Caporegime
My partner is German and I've landed a job in northern Germany starting in October for just over three years. Brexit makes it much more likely to be a one way trip, there's really no chance of a return unless we go back into a freedom of movement arrangement. I'll be applying for German nationality when I can.

Financially, it's a double hit on the value in my house. A 5-10% drop in house prices looks likely, so that wipes around 20-30% off the equity I have in the house and that is worth a whole load less Euro if we want to use it to buy on the continent. There's also likely to be a sizeable hit to my pension too, although it's far enough away that I'll be claiming it that the difference isn't likely to be too large compared to other events.

Associate
Has and will affect me and my family.
My mum might be losing her job as she works in a bank on the continent dealing with a lot of fairly rich people living in London and a number are starting to transfer their money elsewhere as her bank works in pounds, already notices are going around from higher ups to expect redundancies.
I'm Danish and now need to get Permanent Residence as I cannot be certain of my residency rights post brexit and there is no guarantee that the UK will retain free movement. So am going for Permanent Residence now before the UK makes its mind up and I've already lived her since 2005. Not to mention the nagging feeling I now have that a significant amount of people in this country don't want me here, already had 1 person telling me to go back to where I came from, as well as several friends having abuse hurled at them. 3 have already decided to leave the UK.
So, I've had to cancel a planned trip to visit my parents, a planned trip to India to visit family in October and I have an upcoming wedding in India in February which now hangs in the balance too, not to mention the extra costs incurred.
My wife is Indian and has an EEA family permit so depending on her rights being retained or not we may be leaving the UK in 5 years time... Which to say may not be a bad thing as we don't want to live in a country outside the EU.

Soldato
If you have lived here and exercised treaty rights for 5 years continuously then you already have permanent residence and the application is just for a card to prove it. I don't see any reason you would need to cancel any holiday plans unless you have already sent off your passport and they take a long time to get it back to you (which is believable as I'm sure many people will be looking for PR cards).

For us, even though my partner has been here for 14 years almost continuously we only realised after doing some more research that she doesn't have a continuous 5 year period of exercising treaty rights which was a bit of a surprise - we weren't aware of the requirement for certain people to have private health insurance, so we're hoping that free movement doesn't change that much...

Last edited:
Associate
I have to ask - why is it affecting your trip to visit family and the two trips to India?

Nothing regarding free movement of persons is going to change within the next two years, so that shouldn't impact your travel arrangements.

As part of the PR application I need to send my passport away, sadly without I cannot travel out the country and the sudden drop in the pound made my trip to visit the parents a bit too unaffordable :p.

My concern is what will happen, despite me having automatically gained PR after my 5th year (as Zogger rightly pointed out) I don't really know if that will still apply after the UK leaves as it's unsure if they will uphold these rights and furthermore, what guarantee is there that the UK simply won't say that if you don't have a PR card by the time article 50 is invoked you have to leave or get a work visa?
Sadly the UK governments website is not really telling me anything either and I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to immigration matters.

I haven't sent off my application just yet as my work is typing up the final letter I need so would appreciate it if anyone has any advice?

All I want is to live in the UK in peace with my wife :(.

Caporegime
Probably won't. The family business only deals with the UK and dealt very well with the last recession. It even had to turn contracts down due to having too much work towards the end of it. As for me, I plan on travelling for 2 or 3 years starting after Christmas, mostly Asia. I guess I will lose out a bit with exchange rates but I'm really not too bothered.

Associate
My biz that's in its 5th year imports a lot from EU and USA, with the exchange rates the way they are, we've had to stop selling a lot of products as USA/EU sellers can undercut us. Potentially I won't have a business in 6 months if we can't diversify enough or the pound doesn't recover. Sad panda.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
If europe is so great why does everyone to stay in the uk and not move to EUROPE.Is the truth it's not great and britain is ?

Associate
If europe is so great why does everyone to stay in the uk and not move to EUROPE.Is the truth it's not great and britain is ?

I'm not understanding it either, if the UK is so bad why don't they just leave? Instead of the endless histrionics, whinging and bellyaching why not grab an Easyjet flight to European paradise and live the dream? :confused:

Soldato

I'm not understanding it either, if the UK is so bad why don't they just leave? Instead of the endless histrionics, whinging and bellyaching why not grab an Easyjet flight to European paradise and live the dream? :confused:

Why didn't you leave and go to a country that wasn't in the EU?

Soldato

Why don't the opposition leave the country after every general election eh?
Indeed you are confused.

Associate

The UK is in Europe. If you ask someone to get an atlas out for you and look at the pretty pictures of Europe you might notice that the UK is geographically located in Europe.

Every time I see comments like this from leavers I am astounded you were even able to work a pencil and cast a vote at all.

Back
Top Bottom