Didn't get my CC statement, been fined for late payment

Soldato
Have always paid my bill in full the very day I get my statement but I didn't get my, June statement and thus made no payment. I logged in today to see whats up and I can see I've been fined.

It annoys me because I have never needed a credit card because I can afford everything with my debit card, and never wanted one so I can avoid incidents like this one. But I got jumped entering, ASDA one day and thought why not and signed up for their card, I shop and fill my car there and it rewards cashback.

I've got in contact with the company asking them to waive it on the grounds I didn't get a statement and that I have never paid late before and have always paid in full. Depending on the outcome I might just cancel the card.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never get any statements. Yet I pay every bill.

Did you think the lack of a statement meant you didn't have to pay?

Commissario
Do you use the card every month?
Do you not regularly login every month to make a payment/pay it off in full?
Do you not have a direct debit to cover the minimum payment?
If so, then why should this month be any different just because a statement didn't arrive (It could've been lost in the post)?

Seems a bit ignorant/naive to think that you're entitled to the waiver IMO.

Soldato
I reckon they will accept the waiver once based on good will but generally you should know your credit card is due by a certain date and get in touch if you can't check the balance on the phone or online. Reward credit cards are good if you can control your spending and afford to pay it every month.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Do you need people to remind you to eat? Do you need your employer to text you to remind you to go into work?

Soldato
Agreed, silly post. Credit cards can be brilliant if you keep on top of them.

I think he's more concerned about having his purchase history tracked? Some people also spend only what they have. Which I can understand if you live within your means, are doing well and don't particularly make big purchases. Hard to avoid any form of borrowing though!

Associate
Never have CCs and never ever would.

I have never had one and i tried to hire a car last week in Italy. They would only accept credit card and the only way they would take my debit card is if i paid an extortionate insurance fee in addition. I walked away and decided its time to be an adult and get one.

Soldato
OP
I think he's more concerned about having his purchase history tracked? Some people also spend only what they have. Which I can understand if you live within your means, are doing well and don't particularly make big purchases. Hard to avoid any form of borrowing though!

I also live within my means which is why I have never wanted a CC. I accepted this card purely because of it's cashback and I know I will always have the funds to pay it off in full.

Can't fault my CC company on it's speed to reply, took about 30 minutes and happily they've waived the fee as a gesture of good will. Once it's cleared online I'll setup a DD.

Commissario
The card company may waive the fee for late/non payment but it's equally your responsibility to make sure you keep track of the payments as no delivery method is infallible. Most card companies issue the statement on a set date or within a few days of a specific day of the month, which should make it relatively easy to track.

Agreed, silly post. Credit cards can be brilliant if you keep on top of them.

Not least because you get a load of protection that you are unlikely to get with debit cards, let alone cash.
I never use a debit card online, except to pay my CC.

I'm surprised anyone out of choice pays for anything of any value that they can't walk out of the door with anything other than credit, and even for stuff you can take with you immediately upon payment it gives added protection.
People seem to forget you can use the CC effectively as a debit card by not buying stuff unless you've got the money in the bank, using the CC and paying it off either as soon as the bill comes in, or within a day or so if you've got online banking.

The fact it covers me if the retailer goes bust prior to delivery is enough to make them worthwhile.

Soldato
I also live within my means which is why I have never wanted a CC. I accepted this card purely because of it's cashback and I know I will always have the funds to pay it off in full.

Can't fault my CC company on it's speed to reply, took about 30 minutes and happily they've waived the fee as a gesture of good will. Once it's cleared online I'll setup a DD.

DD is the way to go - Mine's set up to pay the full balance every month, so I don't need to think about it, beyond there being enough in the current account.

You can cancel the DD payment for a month, if you need to, and manually pay whatever amount you wish. Had to do that once when in the process of buying/furnishing our current house and juggling money around - was no trouble.

Soldato
I have my DD set to £50, I like to be in charge of what I pay and when (have more than one "pay day" a month)

Having a set amount is useful in case you forget/can't pay and personally I always clear the balance before the month is out.

Soldato
Many years ago (12?) I was charged £20 late fee which I couldn't understand why as I've always had DD for full amount. When I called them they said they had a problem with their system and DD didn't go through. They quickly refunded when I pointed out this was their problem and not mine. Both CC and current with the same bank.

Hasn't happened since, just pointing out that DD can have occasionally fail as well.

Back
Top Bottom