Scared stiff of flying!!!

V F

V F

Soldato
I don't understand the fear people have for flying. I thought it was a very soothing experience. As relaxing as sitting in the dentists chair.

The only thing I didn't like about flying was the cabin pressure while climbing and descending, ear popping. Shouting like chopper dave. It was fine once the plane was up and settled on course. Almost reminds me of diving in the pool hearing all the thumps above and through the water.

Soldato
I hate flying. I just got back from holiday. Four 6+ hour flights and I never felt fully at ease but lots of in flight movies kept me distracted.

Just chug some valium from your GP, put headphones in loud for take off and put earplugs in when you want quieter times. Take offs and landings are the uneasy bits, for the bits in between just keep your mind on other things.

Drawing, gaming, or watching movies should take the edge off.

Soldato
People, I am due to go up in an aeroplane twice this year. Now, not flown for approx 20+ years due to extreme fear of flying.

Now, I have to go this year. So, help!

I can't afford to go on a course. I tried alcohol all those years ago and it didn't work! Will a doctor provide any medication if I mention it to him about how I feel about flying?

The first flight is due in May and already my stomach is churning! Flying to Poland. Then, in August I am flying to Rome.

Any advice would be great. Even funny ones! :D Ta

My mate hates flying, we went to Cancun years back he was terrified so got so blind drunk he passed out.... On the shoulder of a new bride sat to his left. The newlyweds husband was anything but impressed but his new wifey just said to leave him as he looked peaceful. :D

Slept on her shoulder for around 4 hours :D

Caporegime
People, I am due to go up in an aeroplane twice this year. Now, not flown for approx 20+ years due to extreme fear of flying.

I can't afford to go on a course. I tried alcohol all those years ago and it didn't work! Will a doctor provide any medication if I mention it to him about how I feel about flying?

The first flight is due in May and already my stomach is churning! Flying to Poland. Then, in August I am flying to Rome.

If it helps i build these planes.

They are made to impecible standards...by some of us...

Soldato

I can recommend hypnotherapy.. I developed a fear of flying (don't ask) and thought I'd struggle to get over it, but tried hypnotherapy as a first avenue of attack..

Whilst quite sceptical of such things, it actually had quite a noticeable effect and actually when explained what it aims to do, it's not so mumbo-jumbo as I thought.. Since that I've flown a lot around Europe, to the US etc.. And the good news is, that was only 3 sessions, the rest you can do yourself..

Soldato
Bit too expensive though. :(

No actually (Not when I looked into it 10 years ago or so, and I dont imagine things have changed that much)

Seriously, Private charter is not as expensive as you might think. If you can club together with enough other people to make it a full air-plane you can fly in your own personal Learjet for a price that is comparable to commercial flights with the advantage of flying out of somewhere like Farnborough international (Just turn up and board the plane) rather than the Hell of Heathwickton!

Soldato
OP
If it helps i build these planes.

They are made to impecible standards...by some of us...

Thank.

Anyway, i got on a flight about 8 weeks ago. Had a panic attack when they closed the doors! Then pilot said there would be a 30 min delay due to air traffic so we got off!! Wife was mad with me!

Thing is, i was very ill that week and i think that added to my issues.

It has not put me off flying though.

Soldato
OP, practice this breathing technique... google it. 4-7-8 start it now, as it take a while for it to really take effect. Then when you get on the plane, do it.. It'll calm your nerves.

Basically, like any phobia's, the danger is only in your mind, not actually in the flying. You probably already know that.. So best thing you can do, is accept that you'll feel fear, acknoledge that it can't really hurt you. Do a bit of breathing to keep you from panic, and once you actually get in the air, you'll see that it's actually quite soothing. And remember you're in the safest place to be.

Suspended
I can't believe there are two pages and no-one has posted:

Untitled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom