World war one

Soldato
RIP all.

Why people celebrate and glorify war, I'll never understand. If you spoke to any soldier who fought in WW1, they'd tell you it was hell on earth.

It should be remembered to remind us how bad War actually is - not glorified as a victory I agree.

Yet we still continue to start wars and sell weapons like its the only business on earth. When will people learn we are ALL human beings :'(

I'd love to see the war machine stamped on - sick of watching people die in this day and age, sort of defeats all the efforts our ancestors went to in this and the second world war.

RIP

Soldato
was listening to this on the radio this morning on the drive in at 7:30.

the guns, then the silence, then the blowing of the whistles left a real lump in the throat.

we should never forget the sacrifice of those people.

Soldato
When you think that one million British, French and German soldiers were killed and wounded in the five-month battle in World War One it really puts things into perspective.
The word hero is very much overused these days where it has pretty much become meaningless. But there were real hero's then who came back and for the most part never talked of their experiences or deeds and for a lot of families medal for valour were only discovered on the the death of the recipient, as was the case with my own granddad and know others here have had a similar experience. Much respect and gratitude.

Associate
And we almost voted all their hard work away.

Let's just remember the sacrifice of people all over the world.

My granddad fought in WW2. He was based in Sicily and made many very good friends from all over the world, friends that he had to see die. He was saved by a Canadian soldier when their boat was torpedoed as he couldn't swim.

If he was still here I know for a fact he would be ashamed of what is going on with Britain at the moment.

RIP to all that have fought to protect us.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was a truly horrific war as it was so concentrated on the western front (let us not forget the sacrifices made on the eastern front as well) and the sound of the whistle this morning was extremely poignant.

To think that many of the survivors children would have grown up only to serve in the second World War.

Associate
I never really thought of it that way, that the survivors of WWI would end up seeing their children/nephews shipped off to the exact same fate... How horrific that must have been.

Associate
It really is harrowing to see the total death counts of both the World Wars, 17 Million in WW1 and 60 Million in WW2....so much devastation for a small group of people's ideas or arguments.

RIP to them all.

Soldato
Shocking when you think about the numbers, particularly for a single day at the somme.

RIP

Those of a Certain Age will remember the phenomena of the "Maiden Aunt" (Or at least the "Maiden Grandaunt")

When remembering the generation of young Men who died in the trenches of the 14-18 war it is easy to forget about the generation of young Women who never married and never had Children!

The ripples from this catastrophe spread out far beyond the confines of the Battlefield! :(

(For various reasons the social consequences for young Women in the aftermath of WW2 were rather less severe)

Associate
This is my great grandads medal he won I believe from the Somme era.

He apparantly went back over the top into no mans land and rescued his commanding officer, a captain. Unfortunately the captain didn't make it and died of his wounds.

FA09B9AC-5B16-4264-9D84-3DC9707218A1_zpsppsgapon.jpg

Soldato
It should be remembered to remind us how bad War actually is - not glorified as a victory I agree.

Yet we still continue to start wars and sell weapons like its the only business on earth. When will people learn we are ALL human beings :'(

I'd love to see the war machine stamped on - sick of watching people die in this day and age, sort of defeats all the efforts our ancestors went to in this and the second world war.

RIP

And i'd love a week (just one ******* week if possible?) to go by without a muslim killing someone for their perverted religion.

But we can dream right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36687616

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/07/hindu-priest-hacked-death-bangladesh-160701040221336.html

Soldato
Anyone seen the coverage just then on the bbc of the 100 second gun salute and amazing bagpipes of the Scottish lament?

I found that pretty emotional - easy to forget just how much we owe to people from history.

RIP.

RIP.

Puts current events into perspective.

My great grandfather served in WW1 and grandfather served in WW2, both on the maternal side of the family. My grandmother's brother (so my great uncle) also served in WW2 and disappeared, never to be found again :(

Just shows that we so much luckier to live now in 2016 than they did in 1916.

Back
Top Bottom