*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Associate
I suspect this may be a lonely thread but here goes...

fishboy-albums-sold-reps-picture111856-tokay2.jpg
[/IMG]

Snakes27Mar-13.jpg

Snakes27Mar-5.jpg

12March-13.jpg

12March-11.jpg

bumblebee.jpg

fire3.jpg

pastelyellowbelly.jpg

willow-1.jpg

Soldato
I'd love a pet like one of these, it just seems a bit cruel keeping them in a tank though, and I'm at work during the day so they wouldn't get much attention. :/

Caporegime
I'd love a pet like one of these, it just seems a bit cruel keeping them in a tank though, and I'm at work during the day so they wouldn't get much attention. :/

that's why you get a big tank :)

Besides, they can't be out all day half of them as they need to be kept at a certain temperature or in certain humidity (frogs etc)

Associate
OP

Aside from correct husbandry they don't need "attention". They aren't dogs or children and don't need the same enrichment that mammals or other higher orders do and in that respect are the perfect pet for the modern busy lifestyle.

The reptile brain is very basic and instinct driven especially in species that have remained fundamentally unchanged for millions of years such as many snakes. They are ambush predators (the ones I keep at least), staying still for days at a time waiting for prey, then they find somewhere warm to curl up and digest their food. Lots of hiding and remaining still.

They have have 3 basic needs, food, water and warmth and with these met the majority would be "happy" kept in box. In fact many species that live in burrows and crevices are much happier kept in small enclosures. ;)

Associate
OP
would love a snake, but yeh, the thought of feeding it mice its just eeeew!

how much do they cost on electric compared to say a standard pc.

Depends on the snake and how you heat it.

A heat mat on a thermostat would be fairly low wattage (20w) and on about 30-50% of the time.

A ceramic bulb would be more, perhaps 150w again on about 30-50% of the time on a pulse thermostat (depending on how warm the location is).

Last edited:
Permabanned
would love a snake, but yeh, the thought of feeding it mice its just eeeew!

how much do they cost on electric compared to say a standard pc.

Near to nothing if you're using a heat mat.

2vtbmtv.jpg

a0x6za.jpg

My two Brazilian rainbow boa's i bought few months back.They are about six months now and a lot bigger but still got 3/4ft to go.

Should really take some pics of them at some bought when i get a chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aside from correct husbandry they don't need "attention". They aren't dogs or children and don't need the same enrichment that mammals or other higher orders do and in that respect are the perfect pet for the modern busy lifestyle.

Part of the wonder of owning dogs (German Shepherds) for me is the fact that they seem to know exactly what I'm saying to them, they really are a companion.

What's the attraction with a reptile? Can you gain any sort of bond with them or are they more for fascination?

Soldato
what about feeding, and stuff. how often and what do they eat?

Mine eats either full grown mice or young rats (frozen) and eats every 2 weeks. Sometimes a little more often, but rarely.

god i want one :( are they friendly?

Haha yeah my one is, some aren't but as long as you handle them from a young age they should be fine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
what about feeding, and stuff. how often and what do they eat?

Snakes once a week.

If it's a babeh (read: young) start it off on 'Pinkies'.

Then as it gets bigger give it too pinkies OR change it up to Fuzzies, then bigger fuzzies then on to furries or full sized mice.

Naturally you dont feed them live, so you buy them frozen from a pet store and defrost them

Soldato
Snakes once a week.

If it's a babeh (read: young) start it off on 'Pinkies'.

Then as it gets bigger give it too pinkies OR change it up to Fuzzies, then bigger fuzzies then on to furries or full sized mice.

Naturally you dont feed them live, so you buy them frozen from a pet store and defrost them

that just sounds gross, and would really put me off. not only the feeding it, but it actually eating it, just gross.

Caporegime
that just sounds gross, and would really put me off. not only the feeding it, but it actually eating it, just gross.

Eh? The damn thing needs to eat.

Some snakes you can just plonk it in a seperate tub and let it eat the thing (hell, it just swallows it so its not like it gets messy) while others need it warmed up or chopped up if theyre REALLY picky :p

Back
Top Bottom