Scared stiff of flying!!!

Soldato
People, I am due to go up in an aeroplane twice this year. Now, not flown for approx 20+ years due to extreme fear of flying.

Now, I have to go this year. So, help!

I can't afford to go on a course. I tried alcohol all those years ago and it didn't work! Will a doctor provide any medication if I mention it to him about how I feel about flying?

The first flight is due in May and already my stomach is churning! Flying to Poland. Then, in August I am flying to Rome.

Any advice would be great. Even funny ones! :D Ta

Man of Honour
Our very own Will Gill hates flying and the doctor has prescribed him some anti anxiety medication.

If you do have a problem I suggest you do visit a GP to see what they can do for you.

Soldato
Just watch Final Destination, it will put your mind at ease that if anything is going to go wrong, some American teen will have a premonition and you'll have time to get off before the plane explodes in a fiery inferno.

Caporegime
Breath, breath and close your eyes and mumbles loudly "I am going to die, I am going to die, I am going to die."

I took a short flight to Scotland a couple of years ago, sat next to me was a nice girl and when the plane was taxiing she said:

"I have fear of flying, could you talk and keep me distracted?"

Sure, I said.

Then she said.

"Can I hold your hand?"

lol, it was so random !

Perhaps you can do the same OP?

Last edited:
Associate
You need some Benzodiazapenes of some description, like Valium or temazepam. They will remove any anxiety you have and maybe help you sleep, if you speak to your GP and make it clear how bad your fear is then they may well prescribe you a few.

If not then I'd buy some etizolam myself on the internet, legal to buy and possess and give the same effect as Benzodiazapenes.

Associate
Breath, breath and close your eyes and mumbles loudly "I am going to die, I am going to die, I am going to die."

I took a short flight to Scotland a couple of years ago, sat next to me was a nice girl and when the plane was taxiing she said:

"I have fear of flying, could you talk and keep me distracted?"

Sure, I said.

Then she said.

"Can I hold you hand?"

lol, it was so random !

Perhaps you can do the same OP?

You missed the not :p

Permabanned
Flight would be a much more enjoyable experience if they did adults only flights. No screaming kids. And then they could rip out all those horrific cheap seats and replace them with big comfy couches. And then, instead of a trolley service, just have a couple of bars serving drinks and snacks. And instead of crappy in-flight movies they played different music in different sections of the plane so you could get your funk on with a little 70s groove and a screwdriver or maybe a bit of 80s new wave with a Bacardi.

Caporegime
Flight would be a much more enjoyable experience if they did adults only flights. No screaming kids. And then they could rip out all those horrific cheap seats and replace them with big comfy couches. And then, instead of a trolley service, just have a couple of bars serving drinks and snacks. And instead of crappy in-flight movies they played different music in different sections of the plane so you could get your funk on with a little 70s groove and a screwdriver or maybe a bit of 80s new wave with a Bacardi.

They do that, it's call a private jet.

Soldato
They will no longer prescribe anything for flights FYI.

Increased risk of DVT due to lack of movement caused by medication on flights apparently.

Caporegime
Just do what I do with my fear of flying. Man up and count the minutes until you're due to land.
Also did a lot of research in to aircraft and just how safe they really are. That helped a lot, especially since I'm an engineer and have a full understanding of them.

Caporegime
People, I am due to go up in an aeroplane twice this year. Now, not flown for approx 20+ years due to extreme fear of flying.

Now, I have to go this year. So, help!

I can't afford to go on a course. I tried alcohol all those years ago and it didn't work! Will a doctor provide any medication if I mention it to him about how I feel about flying?

The first flight is due in May and already my stomach is churning! Flying to Poland. Then, in August I am flying to Rome.

Any advice would be great. Even funny ones! :D Ta

I hate to point this out but surely you're going up in an aeroplane four times this year as presumably you'll be flying back from those places as well.

GPs are good if you want pharmacological help, there are a variety of deep breathing exercises that they can advise you on as well. Bear in mind that drugs like diazepam may affect you after you've landed too - fine if you're straight off to the hotel to get some sleep, not so fine if you've some site seeing to do.

I don't particularly like flying either (does anyone?), I think it's really important to not feel stressed at the airport - make sure you check in as early as possible, get through security, have a good book to read, get yourself in a lounge if you can and just chill out until the scrum at the gate. Paying extra for things like priority boarding or an allocated seat in a decent location are well worth it imo (apparently seats over the wings are more stable in turbulence). Ignore any advice about drinking loads - nothing worse that feeling light headed on a plane and needing to go to the toilet loads.

Back
Top Bottom