Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
The referendum thread was possibly the busiest thread we've ever had over such an extended period. That's not just the weight of posts but the amount of moderation required too.

I recognise that this is an emotive time and subject. Many people are annoyed, many are elated. This is not a sport result that people are annoyed about for a short time but then their team plays again and wins and they can move on. This is people's futures. They are worried for their careers and pensions, remaining employed at all, their families, etc. It's an uncertain time whichever side of the fence you were on for the referendum.

Please bear all of this in mind along with the members charter whilst posting. The decision, for good or ill, has been made. What happens now and next is the discussion to be had. Above all please remember that you must respect each other. If you cannot post in a respectful manner toward your fellow posters, regardless of their opinions, please refrain from posting at all.

Soldato
Brexit, the aftermath...

I'd like to keep this discussion going in here if that's OK.
I am under the assumption that the "exit poll" thread has run it's course but the ramifications of what we just did will roll on for years.

Where do we go from here...

and for christ sake can we have some positivity in the replies

Associate
It was made quite clear in the 2015 Conservative Manifesto that there would be a In/Out referendum before 2017. This was widely publicised by the print and online media, as well as on TV and radio.

So those of you who voted Conservative at the last election and wanted to remain in the EU knew what you were voting for. You made a choice to gamble with this future of this country. You may not have pulled the pin on the referendum grenade but you certainly handed it to David Cameron and told him to throw it.

As much as Ed Miliband was mocked and jeered by the press and social media, he only offered a referendum in the event of more powers being handed to Brussels.

So Conservative remainers you helped instigate this Eton mess, the only decent thing you could do is to support the government you elected during the remainder their term.

Soldato
So so many things could happen, but the most important for now is who will end up as PM, and under what conditions.

After that there'll be a debate over EEA or Article 50, which will take some time. After that is anyone's guess.

Caporegime
It was made quite clear in the 2015 Conservative Manifesto that there would be a In/Out referendum before 2017. This was widely publicised by the print and online media, as well as on TV and radio.

So those of you who voted Conservative at the last election and wanted to remain in the EU knew what you were voting for. You made a choice to gamble with this future of this country. You may not have pulled the pin on the referendum grenade but you certainly handed it to David Cameron and told him to throw it.

As much as Ed Miliband was mocked and jeered by the press and social media, he only offered a referendum in the event of more powers being handed to Brussels.

So Conservative remainers you helped instigate this Eton mess, the only decent thing you could do is to support the government you elected during the remainder their term.

And the people who voted Conservative so they could vote leave... ?

Soldato
I'm hoping that the spirit of the stiff upper lip, keep calm and carry on etc. is reinvigorated by the split. I rather think that the reaction of the defeated side in the past couple of days suggests that this unfortunately will not be the case. (I try to avoid social media as I don't like the legitimisation of what feels like 90%+ teenage whining, but a brief foray into it today made me double-back on my decision to stay away!)

Soldato
Given that Scotland voted mostly to stay in the EU and England (apart from London) didn't, I suspect the SNP will use this to push for yet another referendum to try and take Scotland out of the UK.

If THAT happens.... I wonder if Scotland would try to get back into the EU on its own?

Soldato
Given that Scotland voted mostly to stay in the EU and England (apart from London) didn't, I suspect the SNP will use this to push for yet another referendum to try and take Scotland out of the UK.

If THAT happens.... I wonder if Scotland would try to get back into the EU on its own?

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the goal after leaving the UK.

Nate

Soldato

Another referendum is certainly on the cards but there are two major obstacles I see; currency and the fact Spain will never allow a break-away country to join for fear of Catalonia then following.

Associate
In the grand scheme of things (Universe creation til now) this is an insignificant blip on the map of history. Sure it's big now and will affect everyone but give it time and it will settle (Even if it's not what I wanted).

Just look forward in that history is being made and we are at the front (Take that on which side you want)

Caporegime

Sturgeon has said today she's going to engage with Brussels officials to see what can be done.

If there is a deal available for them then surely a #indyref2 would need to have EU membership as part of the question asked.

Associate
Now I accept that the EU powers that be could just be paying lip service to the people, with all the sound bites over the last couple of day about how the UK's vote to leave is a clear indication that they no longer represent the people and how the EU needs to change.

HOWEVER

If they are true to their word (however doubtful) I fear the UK's exit will have started the ball rolling on a fairer EU more representative of the people's views. A better EU which the UK is not part of. Wouldn't that be funny, the UK creating a fairer, greater EU by the very act of voting to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom