How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Permabanned
I've been a lurker for a while on the forums, but finally pulled the trigger with the whole brexit thing.

To move away from all the politics, so how will brexit affect you personally?

Our family has moved over the pond couple years ago... But we still have money in ISA'S and a property back in Cambridge... Value of both of those have seriously been hurt by exchange rate and possible upcoming reduction in house prices.

It is scary to think that the rate is predicted to hit 1.20 when couple years ago there was a time when I was pulling money from Halifax clarity at 1.70.

We are originally Lithuanian citizens who moved to UK in 2004 and naturalized in 2010, as a consequence we've been stripped of our LT citizenship's.

Even though that we will have US passports in next 2 years, its still pains me that the value of UK passport will go down substantially without EU. Although I find comfort in the fact that if by some chance EU becomes a super state nirvana I can always restore my Lithuanian citizenship by renouncing both UK and US citizenships in the future.

A benefit for us would be that our income is in $ and therefore trips to Europe to relatives are cheaper, my parents are flying back from europe tomorrow and the favorable exchange rate both against pound and euro saved few pennies as everything there was charged on US credit cards which use live rate.

As a sad side note, my parents ended up being verbally harassed over this weekend at a pub where they were having a meal, by being told to "go back home". I guess they did just that, happily.

Associate
My partner is French and finishing her PhD at St. Andrews. Now thankfully we haven't had even a tenth of the kinda racist **** we are seeing in the news, but potentially she may need to return to France (and I will probably go as well)

I have a couple of German friends and we send parcels (presents) to each other for birthdays and Christmas. Leaving the EU means that those parcels will get stung for customs + handling fee as we always spend over the gift threshold of £30.

My parents like going to France, Spain etc. Their holidays will become more expensive.

On politics/diplomatic grounds, my whole family voted unanimously to Remain. So no arguments over the dinner table. It's more tricky in our open plan office though as we were split down the middle for Leave/Remain.

As for pensions, most of us will be dead by the time we're pensionable. It's 68 atm, by the time we're 68 it'll have gone up to 73 which is the time we start dropping out like flies. This is exactly what the gov't wants.

Permabanned
OP
Another thread, really?

Okay, it will hit my pension fund in the short term. That's about it.

The other threads talk about politics and it seems like it ended up being a name calling match between two opposites.

This thread is just the good/bad impacts of brexit on YOU personally.

Don
It remains to be seen how it will affect my family. We are fairly exposed though if anything bad happens due to being a multinational family.
My partner is Polish (I am British) and we have a son who is eligible for dual nationality.
We travel back and forth to Poland several times per year so that is likely to become significantly more expensive.
My mother lives in Tenerife but that's kind of a special case with regards to the EU as it's a tax haven even though it falls under Spanish jurisdiction.

Soldato
It remains to be seen how it will affect my family. We are fairly exposed though if anything bad happens due to being a multinational family.
My partner is Polish (I am British) and we have a son who is eligible for dual nationality.
We travel back and forth to Poland several times per year so that is likely to become significantly more expensive.
My mother lives in Tenerife but that's kind of a special case with regards to the EU as it's a tax haven even though it falls under Spanish jurisdiction.

It will probably have very little impact. Your partner will be allowed to take dual nationality I expect, or at the very least have some sort of permanent residence status. I don't think EU citizens have much to worry about. Marriage is good for that, children even better.

I also doubt the Spanish will chase your mother out because they need to British expats to fuel what remains of their construction industry.

Caporegime
Work in the construction industry. After 7 years of recession where we barely kept above water we have had 2 good years. Suspect we can survive one maybe two years. Pretty sure job cuts will start this years. I expect of we survive we will become a third the size we are now.

Permabanned
OP

I think naturalizing for her would be the best way to go? Has she not met the residence requirements so far?

I'd file intend to remain, I forgot exact name... If she cant naturalize yet. Poland does not have laws against dual-nationality and hence its a win win.

Man of Honour
Not sure how it will affect me and we've not really seen how its going to go down yet - other than adjusting my perspective a bit when it comes to purchasing electronics stuff and having to see slightly higher prices as where I'd normally purchase I don't think it will have too much impact - the larger part of investments I do have fortunately aren't in Sterling.

Think my dad is likely to be the hardest hit in my family as where he works deals heavily with the dollar and they've only just got themselves in a healthy position after the last few years without a lot in reserve to tank the affects of the Sterling dropping against the Dollar meaning the company will struggle if it goes on long term and if it does go down so will a few similar companies and that will likely take the UK economy with it unless the government props them up to prevent that. Which will also have some implications for his pension - although he is reasonably well off so it would be more a case of tightening the belt and maybe having to retire a bit early.

Soldato

I'm wondering about this too.

To answer the thread, my mother is in the most trouble as it stands IMO. She bought a small house in Spain to retire to in a few years. It's looking like that will now be substantially more difficult as she will presumably have to stay within the tourist visa limits (90 days per 180 IIRC), and get private health insurance. Not cheap for a pensioner.

It's a shame because they've settled in really well with the locals.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well, post the Brexit vote, our move to Canada is back on the cards!

Soldato
Without a crystal ball I don't think it will that much. At least, any disadvantages will be balanced by advantages.

Soldato
Quite a bit.

My wife is Portuguese, so it's all a bit up in the air. Our 4 month old son had dual nationality but I don't. Though I could in a couple of years depending on how my Portuguese language goes.

Soldato
Luckily unlike these University kids I can read and write so I can fill in a visa if I need to in order to holiday in Europe (something I don't intend on doing for at least the next 5years)

So the answer me, my family and extended family (who can also read and write) is not one iota.

Back
Top Bottom