World war one

Soldato
Anyone seen the coverage just then on the bbc of the 100 second gun salute and amazing bagpipes of the Scottish lament?

I found that pretty emotional - easy to forget just how much we owe to people from history.

RIP.

Man of Honour
Held a moment of silence to reflect. Absolutely tragic, awful part of our history. So many losses of such young people (some as young as 15!).

Over a million people perished - I hope we never go through something like that ever again. Nearly 20,000 died on the first day.

I found that whistle very chilling and couldn't imagine what it was like to go over the top. :(

Associate
Just read that British soldiers killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme was 19,240.. in 1 day. Just cannot comprehend that or how it must have been.

Soldato
We had a service this morning at work to commemorate as well.

The numbers are staggering, it truly was horrific. An incredible sacrifice made by so many.

RIP

Soldato
Yea, but I don't quite think they thought they were going to sacrifice themselves, they weren't expecting to be slaughtered quite as badly as that. Mainly due to a bad combination of out of date tactics combined with modern military weaponry.

There had been 7 days of 24hr artillery bombardment beforehand (which itself is unimaginable :eek:) which was supposed to degrade the German defensive lines. Unfortunately, due to intelligence intercepts the Germans had a pretty good idea when we were coming and just waited it out.

You also have to remember that at the start of the war the countries propoganda machine was in full swing and people signed up in droves because their nationalistic pride had been jiggled and it was just going to be a bit of jolly good bosch bashing and be home for christmas. If anyone knew the actual horror of what they were going to, they wouldn't have been so keen.

And once you are there, you have no choice, don't want to go over the top? Then we'll just shoot you ourselves.

After a while when the reality of what was going on hit home, the whole sentiment of the poulation changed.

Soldato
A quite fitting poem for today, Wilfred Owens - Dulce et decorum est

DULCE ET DECORUM EST

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.
Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

:(

Man of Honour
I've just walked through Waterloo station and there are a number of soldiers dressed in WW1 uniform.

I'm wearing my union flag lapel pin badge in commemoration.

Soldato
Amen.

My great grandfather fought in WW1. Unsure of his battles but I do know he was shot through the cheek and mouth during a German offensive. His friend who he called a coward was shot in the backside as he was running away.

Thanks to all our ancestors who gave and risked life and limb. Dulce et decorum est.

Associate
It truly is a shocking yet very human nature of our existence, really.
With what happened, it should have been the war to end all wars. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way and ultimately our history has been plagued by war (and will continue to until our ultimate demise).

Associate
Just watching it back on iPlayer. What those men, on all sides, went through 100 years ago was truly horrific. I love BlackAdder Goes Forth, one of the funniest comedy series I ever (IMO), but the last 30 seconds of the last episode hits me every time I watch it :(.

Caporegime
Got quite emotional during the minute's silence on Radio 4 while driving to work this morning. Think I had at least one great-grandparent who fought in WW1 but no-one in the family can tell me about it because of course they didn't talk about their experiences back then.

RIP to those who fought. We will remember them.

Soldato
My paternal grandfather lied about his age (15) to join the Royal Marines in WW1, so much respect for him and I'll always be grateful for what they went through.

R.I.P. to all those who lost their lives, we will remember them.

Soldato
Recently went over to Belgium to produce a film for the Royal British Legion. It's truly harrowing, but I would recommend visiting to anyone who has an interest in history or doesn't know much about WWI.

Soldato
I've never really heard much about World War 1, but it sounded truly awful :( RIP to all who lost their lives.

Back
Top Bottom