Paypal + eBay Question :: Cancelling Direct Debit with Bank?

Soldato
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if the following text is too long...

I was wonderning something if I could ask you guys what's in store for me, regarding my situation.

I purchased an item on eBay and paid through paypal, but after getting a little bit suspicious (the reasons for which I wont go into), I decided to do a little internet detective work and I discovered that the buyer was on a forum telling other people how his item was crap, and so it became clear that his listing description was deliberately misleading.

After realising this I emailled him straightaway telling him what I found and asked for an explanation. He has not replied to that, nor to a follow up email I sent to him asking for a refund. He has not yet dispatched the item to me, and paypal have not yet charged me for the item (they take it directly from my bank account using direct debit). I also got his home phone number from eBay and tried ringing but got no answer.

Now just to protect myself financially, I rang up Natwest and confirmed that Paypal have not yet debited the cash from my account, and so I asked for them to cancel the direct debit I have set up with them. Paypal have 2 of my old debit cards but both of them are now invalid.

What I wanted to ask was, firstly, is there any way that paypal can still physically take cash from my account now? Should I open a paypal dispute now or wait and see if he'll ever get back to me.

And secondly, have I made a mistake? I think I probably shouldn't have done this cancellation, but I'm pretty sure that Paypal don't give cash to people unless the cash is actually present, and if the seller refunds me (which he should), then it shouldn't make a difference either way.

Any thoughts/advice would be muchos appreciated... :)

sid

sid

Soldato
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if the following text is too long...

I was wonderning something if I could ask you guys what's in store for me, regarding my situation.

I purchased an item on eBay and paid through paypal, but after getting a little bit suspicious (the reasons for which I wont go into), I decided to do a little internet detective work and I discovered that the buyer was on a forum telling other people how his item was crap, and so it became clear that his listing description was deliberately misleading.

After realising this I emailled him straightaway telling him what I found and asked for an explanation. He has not replied to that, nor to a follow up email I sent to him asking for a refund. He has not yet dispatched the item to me, and paypal have not yet charged me for the item (they take it directly from my bank account using direct debit). I also got his home phone number from eBay and tried ringing but got no answer.

Now just to protect myself financially, I rang up Natwest and confirmed that Paypal have not yet debited the cash from my account, and so I asked for them to cancel the direct debit I have set up with them. Paypal have 2 of my old debit cards but both of them are now invalid.

What I wanted to ask was, firstly, is there any way that paypal can still physically take cash from my account now? Should I open a paypal dispute now or wait and see if he'll ever get back to me.

And secondly, have I made a mistake? I think I probably shouldn't have done this cancellation, but I'm pretty sure that Paypal don't give cash to people unless the cash is actually present, and if the seller refunds me (which he should), then it shouldn't make a difference either way.

Any thoughts/advice would be muchos appreciated... :)

ERm open a dispute in paypal to get it officially cancelled

If you owe paypal money, they will send it to a debt collection service and you are in for some ****

You shouldn't have cancelled the direct debit hastily. Its too late once you've paid anyways so that hasn't really acheived what you think it has.

sid

Soldato
They can't take any money from your account if you cancelled the direct debit at the bank, just to answer that question.

You will have to pay Paypal the money though.

Soldato
OP
Hmm the problem with paypal's dispute system is that my only options are:

1. I'm filing my claim because I have not received my item
2. I'm filing my claim because there is a problem with the item I have already received.

Neither of which are really valid for me because he hasn't sent the item yet. This is one of those rare situations where I know the item will be bad before receiving it. :(

Anything else I can do?

sid

sid

Soldato
Hmm the problem with paypal's dispute system is that my only options are:

1. I'm filing my claim because I have not received my item
2. I'm filing my claim because there is a problem with the item I have already received.

Neither of which are really valid for me because he hasn't sent the item yet. This is one of those rare situations where I know the item will be bad before receiving it. :(

Anything else I can do?

Are you 100% certain its crap?

Wait to receive the item then start a claim. I'm afraid there may be little you can do in the meanwhile.

If he doens't post the item soon then you've got something to claim for.

sid

Soldato
OP
Are you 100% certain its crap?
Yep, I had my suspicions when he strange kept some answers to my questions a bit vague whereas answering other questions in a lot of detail.

Wait to receive the item then start a claim. I'm afraid there may be little you can do in the meanwhile.

If he doesn't post the item soon then you've got something to claim for.

sid
hmm, I rang up paypal and they advised that I do the same. Starting to regret ringing up natwest now :/

sid

sid

Soldato
Yep, I had my suspicions when he strange kept some answers to my questions a bit vague whereas answering other questions in a lot of detail.

hmm, I rang up paypal and they advised that I do the same. Starting to regret ringing up natwest now :/

Add a debit /credit card to paypal so that gets charged,

let the proceedings go as normal, declined payments will cause more hassle.

You are not garunteed to win the case against the buyer, in which case paypal will come after you for the moeny you owe them.
sid

Soldato
OP
Add a debit /credit card to paypal so that gets charged,

let the proceedings go as normal, declined payments will cause more hassle.

You are not garunteed to win the case against the buyer, in which case paypal will come after you for the moeny you owe them.
sid
Dunno why I didn't think of that before, good idea :)

Soldato
When your recieve it tell ebay what you told us... They will then kick his azzzz and you should get your money back, show them your proof aswell...

If you dont want to to wait that long ring your bank NOW and get them to cancel any further payments to paypal... Ive had to do that in the past they will do it and you can lift this once you have sorted it out.

EDIT: Too tired to read the whole thread, its all been resloved as i can see, well for future reference use these guidelines..

Soldato
OP
What was the item if you dont mind me asking?
It was an Engineering Sample CPU :)

I hate paypal btw... and ebay is getting on my nerves aswell.
I agree... I've found paypal is far too streamlined for automation for our own good. Though I suppose it has a good reason to be, as it has millions of customers and thus could never be able cope with several thousand disputes that need to be investigated in depth and dealt with manually. Though the more I think about it, with a 3.4% cut from every transaction I suppose they could afford it... oh well :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom