Barclays wont increase my overdraft?

Soldato
I thought if you wanted to increase your student overdraft limit you could just ring up and do it?

I rang up and asked them to put it from £500 to £1500. They said no im not aloud it becuase I already have £850 in the bank and wont need it :confused:

btw im wanting the overdraft as im wanting to go on holiday and want to buy a new car (this would help take the sting out of it abit more and help a lot)

Anyone had this problem and got a way around it?

Man of Honour
You need to go in there and make a case and then they'll probably do it. I.e show bills and future expenses that'll you need an extension for.

Or sleep with the bank woman.

Last edited:
Soldato
They probably have something in the T&Cs which makes it at their discretion. Its to prevent what I've been doing with natwest. I've used their overdraft facility so that its always maxed out whilst also maintaining a very similar postive balance in their own e-savings account. :D

Man of Honour
Offer to move your account to another bank, it's dirty but it'll probably get results.

This or actually move to a different bank.

They have no obligation to raise it for you.

Are you sure you can afford and want the debt. especially if your in your first year. It will be hard paying it off before and even after you finish. Eventually you will hit a limit tehy wont raise it again. Leaving you pottentially moneyless in year 2/3/4

Soldato
They probably have something in the T&Cs which makes it at their discretion. Its to prevent what I've been doing with natwest. I've used their overdraft facility so that its always maxed out whilst also maintaining a very similar postive balance in their own e-savings account. :D

surely they interest on the overdraft is more than the interest your gaining in your savings?

Associate
I know people with 2 student overdrafts, its pretty cheeky but doable.
Also know someone that is stuck with 500, hes maxed it and doesnt have enough money, you could always stop your student account paying off the over draft and they getting
it elsewhere.

Soldato
OP
Well im currently on a student placement so have some money coming in. After afew months ill easily be able to get back in to the +...its just getting the overdraft in the first place...

Soldato
OP
Sure my over-draft is £500 and I can get it made to £1500, don't really pay attention to my bank letters :/

But if you go to barcalys I'm sure they will let you increase it

Thats what i tried first, went into my local branch but they said they have to apply for it...Hadnt heard anything in a while so rang up and they said that my overdraft increase wasnt accepted because i have too much money...

Soldato
When I was a student, most banks would give you a maximum overdraft of £1500 but not in the first year. They would increase it each year into your course which is really quite responsible IMO. You can get a higher limit but you have to make your case to them. As aside note I still have the facility of a £2400 overdraft available to me although I dont use it and I graduated nigh on 9 years ago.

Soldato
just take the 850 and 500 out :/

hardly rocket science. if anyone asks it was to pay rent/bills you owed or was on a fine

Back
Top Bottom