Random Reboots

Associate
Hi All

I was hoping for some suggestions for where to start with a problem with my PC, specs below. Starting about a week ago I am getting random reboots with no obvious connection between them. I have run Memtest with no errors and it looks like the 12V supply is stable (looks like a constant 11.9-11.8V). Temps are stable and 40sih degrees for the CPU. I am pretty sure it is not software-related as it is (randomly) rebooting from BIOS too.

I am looking to troubleshoot and plan on pulling the graphics card next, but I was wondering if there are any easy ways to determine if this is a CPU or motherboard problem? Any advice about how to approach this would be great.

Thanks
Snail1

Intel Core i5-3570K
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Corsair Builder Series CX 80+ Bronze, 600 Watt, ATX, EPS12V, PS/2
Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA
Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
GTX560

Associate
OP
Ok, so I have Critical "Kernel-Power" event around the time of each reboot with "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

There are a number of other errors with "Task Misconfiguration". Is there anything in particular to look for?

Soldato
Ok, so I have Critical "Kernel-Power" event around the time of each reboot with "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

There are a number of other errors with "Task Misconfiguration". Is there anything in particular to look for?

is your CPU overclocked or have you updated the bios recently?

is there any numbers next to task configuration

Associate
OP
Just to provide an update
Used a system restore to a time point before the random reboots - still had the fault.
Disconnected graphics card, had a few hours before they started again. Then no real change.

But - disconnected the power to the mechanical hard drive (which is quite old, maybe 5+ years) and have not had a random restart in over 24 hrs. Does this make sense? The mechanical drive is just for data storage (and OS on the SSD) and it was clicking loudly with the restart. Could this be simply on its way out and causing problems? (All data is backed up though :) )

Back
Top Bottom