PC won't boot anymore (not new build)

Associate
Hey guys

I went to turn on my pc this morning and it's turning on, but none of my peripherals light up and my screen doesn't display anything.

My first guess is the OC has gone bad, however with no screen how am I supposed to do anything?

I have tried removing the CMOS battery for 10mins with no luck changing any of the symptoms of the issue

Any ideas? I'm on a gigabyte x99 sli board

Cheers

Associate
Try removing whatever graphics card you have and attaching the monitor to onboard VGA, see if that gives you any display to work with.

Associate
OP
Hi guys

I wanted to add to this, leaving the cmos battery out for half an hour let me back into the bios and Windows and the PC worked perfectly all day.

However it's now the next morning and the same issue has arisen again, the pic keeps powering on, then off and back on, many times, until it stays powered on, but no LEDs on peripherals and no monitor output...

Any idea what could be causing this initial power on issue when it works flawlessly all day after I manage to get it to boot up?

Cheers

Associate
OP
Adding to this, I just got it to boot with 1 stick of ram in, I use 8 sticks normally, does this point to faulty ram? What's the best way to test?

Associate
If one stick of RAM works, leave it in and see if the issue repeats itself. Best way to test RAM is memtest86. If it picks up errors then it's likely to be faulty RAM.

You're also going to need to move that stick between slots to rule out a dead RAM slot.

As you reset the BIOS everything should be at stock.

Associate
OP
If one stick of RAM works, leave it in and see if the issue repeats itself. Best way to test RAM is memtest86. If it picks up errors then it's likely to be faulty RAM.

You're also going to need to move that stick between slots to rule out a dead RAM slot.

As you reset the BIOS everything should be at stock.

i just plugged all the sticks back in after 1 words, and now they all work, all 32gb recognised and in windows. passed the windows mem test...

does this mean one can still be bad? or likely to be something else

Associate
It could be one of the sticks does have a fault but that the faulty sector hasn't been accessed yet.

It could also be a simple case of one stick wasn't quite seated right. It could also be a type of cold boot bug if everything was spinning up but you had no display.

Associate
OP
It could be one of the sticks does have a fault but that the faulty sector hasn't been accessed yet.

It could also be a simple case of one stick wasn't quite seated right. It could also be a type of cold boot bug if everything was spinning up but you had no display.

ill see if the issue arises on next restart and begin testing the ram more thoroughly if its still causing issues!

cheers

Associate
OP
Hey guys, just wanted to report back on this issue, im still getting problems. it boots every time with 1 stick of ram in the mobo, but when i add them all it screws up, weirdly if i boot it with 1 stick, then shut it down and plug them all in, itll work again for a few more days until randomly power cycling again.

Ive run memtest86 for a full pass and it cant detect any errors?

any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom