Major issue with 1080 GTX

Associate
*****SOLVED*****

Hi all,

So today I got my 1080 GTX, however my machine is hating the install.

When I turn it on it will hang at the Gigabyte splash screen, for approx 2 mins.
While its there it is completely unresponsive. Pressing F12, or Del will do nothing.

After 2 mins, it will then go blank but there will be signal still going to the display.
It will sit like this for around 1 min.
Then it will pop up with the Splash screen again and this time I can get into the bios. If I decide not to it will go on to load Windows 10.

When in windows it will not show the 1080 in CPU-Z.

Sometimes it won't even load windows and the signal to the screen will just stop.

So right now I have a 5 min load time, and basic display capabilities.

1. I have installed the drivers.
2. I have updated the BIOS to f12.
3. I have updated Windows.

The only thing I can think of is there is a setting in the BIOS which is not correct.
I have loaded the default optimised values but it still won't work.

Any idea? Im going nuts!

Specs:
Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor
EVGA GeForce 1080 GTX Founders Edition 8GB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card
Gigabyte X79-UD5 Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard
Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 64GB (8x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Antec High Current Pro 850W Modular '80 Plus Gold' Power Supply
Corsair Hydro H100i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Antec P280 Super Midi Tower Case - Gun Metal Black

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you reset the bios when you put your new card in? I only ask cause i know my PC runs just as you describe if i forget to set my XMP after a reset bios.

Associate
OP
Guys, a little more update.

1. Power Cables are in 100%
2. I have reseated the card on multiple tries in different PCIe bays.
3. My Bios has been reset to factory defaults, however I never had XMP turned on anyway or any profiles made.

Associate
Long shot here but in your bios is it set to run the top pci-e slot first. I know with my gigabyte motherboard I can choose the boots quench for the pcie's and he intergrated graphics. Worth checking in case it's trying to use another slot before yours which is causing the hanging?

Soldato
As soon as you can turn the splash screen off in the BIOS. In the meantime when you see the splash screen press the TAB key and you will see the POST screen that could reveal vital info as to what the problem is.

Also what BIOS are you on latest one says F13w. Whilst it doesnt mention much relevance there are that just say improve system compatability/stability.

Associate
OP
Long shot here but in your bios is it set to run the top pci-e slot first. I know with my gigabyte motherboard I can choose the boots quench for the pcie's and he intergrated graphics. Worth checking in case it's trying to use another slot before yours which is causing the hanging?

Yep it's set to the first port. I've also tried other ports.

Associate
OP
As soon as you can turn the splash screen off in the BIOS. In the meantime when you see the splash screen press the TAB key and you will see the POST screen that could reveal vital info as to what the problem is.

Also what BIOS are you on latest one says F13w. Whilst it doesnt mention much relevance there are that just say improve system compatability/stability.

It's f12 as 13 is the beta. My next step is to try that.

Hitting tab does nothing, weird!

Associate
OP
So, i just stuck the 1080 into my friends machine and guess what it works perfect!
So it must be my MB/Bios. I'm starting to think I have a bad PCIe controller or something as the only issues I've ever had with my setup has been to do with the PCIe ports causing blue screen etc.

Just going to install f13!

Associate
OP
I fixed it!

It was the upgrade to f13 beta that did it! I didn't try that before because I was worried it would shaft my machine.

Thanks guys, really appreciate all your input.
Now to play some games before my wife nags me to come to bed!

Until next time!

Associate
I had exactly same problem with my 980ti, and I had to flash my bios to the latest version to get it to work.

Back
Top Bottom