worth paying £40 for a UPS?

Soldato
My work is throwing out a "dead" UPS. (an APC 1500).

I took it apart and see that the 24v battery is only putting out 9v...
So battery is dead. However I've managed to source a new battery online for £44. So basically I can have a "new" UPS for £44.

Only thing is. I've not had a powercut in the 5 years I've lived in my house. So not sure if it's worth doing/having?

Would you?

Soldato
Depending which model it is then I would :D
Do bear in mind that batteries generally only last 3 years ish,then need replacing
UPS don`t only keep your pc running during a powercut they also stop spikes in the power etc :)

Soldato
OP
Ok I'll do it. Its an APC 1500. Don't know anything about it other than it came from our server.
Abother bonus is if the power went out for a while I could plug the ups into my little generator and keep gaming on 2 stroke! Haha. I wouldn't dare plug my PC directly into my generator. I could always sell it as having new batteries got to be a bit of profit in that.

Soldato
OP
Am I going to have to but a whole load of those "female kettle" type plugs for it to plug everything into it or can I just stick a female kettle thing on a powerbar and plug everything into that. So basically everything is in one output of the UPS

Soldato
OP
Up and running! £50 batteries and we are back in business. (Please excuse my dirty curtain my dog usually lies there).

IMG_20160706_065806.jpg

Soldato
One of my old APC UPS came with a male connector that you could wire in to whatever you wanted (You can buy these online too). I wired a 5 gang extension lead in to it and used that to connect my router, switch, wireless AP and 2x monitors. I then screwed the extension lead on to the back of my desk to save wires on the floor :D

When my UPS b0rked 2 years ago, I didn't replace it as apparently new PSU's require a true sinewave, and the cheaper 'backUPS' I was using did not do this. You need one of the expensive smartUPS that you have.

Back
Top Bottom