New 6700k build - Orange and black theme. Feedback required.

Associate
Hey there,

I was hoping I could get some critiques on a build I've come up with that falls around the £1000 mark. To give some background, I've built a couple of computers including my last which is now 5-6 years old and in serious need of an overhaul. I've spent the last 6 months thinking about what to build, researching and waiting for certain products to come out. I haven't chosen lightly. I'm hoping to run a dual monitor setup but focus on 1080p gaming. I plan to possibly do some light editing in the future too. I'm also going with a black and orange theme to go with my phantom enthusiast full tower in black and orange. So onto the build:

• Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (orange/black)
  • Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • EVGA (650-850W) 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • ASUS strix RX480 (when released)

I was hoping to have some feedback on what people's thoughts are. Please note that this will also be my first time overclocking so I'm not going all out in part for this reason. Looking forward to your comments.

Caporegime
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £824.82
(includes shipping: £0.00)

A proper orange+black board.

£70 cashback - https://toptechcashback.com/gb/en/pages/cpumb/qualifying

Associate
OP

I did look at X99 but it seems overkill considering what I'm doing. Also some of the recent tests of the 6-8 core processors over at HARDOCP show that for gaming under DX12 in AoTS, these chips are actually detrimental to the gameplay experience. Also I'm interested to see what the iGPU on the z170 will add. I must say that board did have me in it's grip for a while. But despite it's lovely aesthetics it just doesn't meet my needs. For example I don't think I'm going to take advantage of the LGA2083 grid for liquid nitrogen cooling. The cashback is something I definitely want to take advantage of though.

Associate
OP
Does anyone have any comments on the mobo. Will it be enough for me to do some ok'ish overclocks or should I just go all out and get the Asus Formula?

Associate
OP
The extra pins of the OC socket on X99 helps the uncore value.

So you have core and uncore frequencies.

For example I helped some chap overclock both here - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18670276 - and I think he was using an AIO so no exotic cooling.

Fair enough. I still think the X99 is a bit beyond what I need though. I certainly won't be doing very much editing. Only a little perhaps and I'm not entirely convinced that the jump from 4 cored and threading to 6 cores is worth the cost for gaming under dx12. I understand that most would advocate a 6600k for gaming only, but the possible performance games with the 6700k means it's worth the upgrade for me. The 5820k requires a more expensive motherboard, more money for ram and also costs more making the difference about twice that going from 6600k-6700k, but with the same or less gaming boosts (going by current benches).

So any feedback on the system setup I have presented would be better for me as I will be going the z170 route as this feels the most cost effective for my needs and with my present budget.

Back
Top Bottom