Recent Watercooled PC, getting black screens with loud buzzing.

Associate
Hi guys/gals so I recently added a watercooled loop to my PC which was air cooled before, I've added a CPU Block and GPU block which keeps my components at reasonable temps, gpu no higher than 60 cpu no higher than 65.

However I'm getting these system hangs, where the screen goes black and makes a rather loud buzzing noise not coming from the gpu just from the black screen which forces me to power down and back up again. I can't seem to isolate the problem the temps are fine, I've made sure the cpu block isn't too tight or too loose, I am overclocked on both and I've tried running back to stock settings and the same thing happens. It's generally only when gaming and can occur anytime within 5 minutes to 8 hours, sometimes goes days without crashing at all, both stock and clocked. I'm at a loss as to what it could be I've done new drivers, reinstalled windows (7) A few times. I'm dead certain I haven't damaged anything in the process. I've tried running completely stock the temps are slightly lower but the same problem remains.

I'm unsure if this particular crash is related to anything specific perhaps? Could the GPU block be a bit too tight? My pc specs are below.

i5 4670k @4ghz.
ATI R290 Sapphire @1150 mhz.
Corsair XMS DDR3 1333mhz 8gb Ram.
Corsair 750w Semi Modular PSU.
Asus Z97-P Motherboard.
XSPC Dual Rad watercooling, R290 EK-FC R9-290(X) - Acetal+Nickel Rev.2.0
Corsair Carbide 540c

UPDATE: I've just got an error back from Memtest 3/4 passes but 4 shows 1 error could this be he culprit?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd try a different PSU if you have one handy. Definitely sounds power related. Is your PSU bronze, silver, gold rated etc?

Unfortunately I don't have another one to test though this ones only a few months old and still under warranty, it's bronze rated, assuming 750w would be enough to power everything I have? My immediate thought was power related.

Soldato
As its bronze its only around 80% efficient at full load which leaves you with around 600w of power.

Its cutting it very close and my system is similar but with a 650w gold rated PSU. I'm not an expert regarding checking the 12v rail and PSU stuff but I think that's your issue. Hopefully something simpler than that but that's where I'd put my money.

Associate
OP
As its bronze its only around 80% efficient at full load which leaves you with around 600w of power.

Its cutting it very close and my system is similar but with a 650w gold rated PSU. I'm not an expert regarding checking the 12v rail and PSU stuff but I think that's your issue. Hopefully something simpler than that but that's where I'd put my money.

Oh really I had no idea I figured I'd of gotten slightly more out of it, at 600w (roughly) I agree it's getting it very fine, it only really seems to happen in demanding games like GTA V Overwatch at 2k on ultra but with World of Warcraft, Diablo etc it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What model psu is it exactly ?

Corsair CXM 750w 80 plus bronze CXM series.

I should add I recently bought a 2k 144mhz monitor going from 1920x1080 I'm guessing with it being more demanding my rig is requiring more power thus possibly causing the crash?

Last edited:
Soldato

That is just plain wrong. A 750W Bronze PSU rated to supply (around) 750W from 882W of wall power. Mostly from the +12V rail(s).

His system probably isn't even drawing 450W from the unit. However the model is very important as Corsair CX units have a bit of a bad rep and it might be at fault.

I had a similar issue to OP and found the cause was the modular cable that powered my GPU had chipped slightly where it goes into my AX760. This loose connection caused crashes and horrible power throttling.

Associate
OP
Also just to add and clarify it is strictly only this crash with the screen going black and the buzzing noise coming after forcing in a shut down and power up, there's no other crashes what so ever, just this specific type of crash.

Associate
OP
Hope so,Run it again just a single stick at a time and test all sticks but as above the 290 could be strugling.

If the card was struggling would I not notice some performance hits? Perhaps lower fps, stuttering, etc? As the games run perfectly smooth and the crash is very random sometimes not for days after many hours of gaming. Also the buzzing isn't coming from the PC but through my headphones from the crash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom