• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ideal graphics card to use with i5 6600

Associate
Hello

So I have been looking into getting a new graphics card as my R7 265 is starting to struggle especially with higher textures (only has 2GB) I have been looking around but have found out my CPU the FX 6300 would be a real bottleneck so (I haven't told the wife she would shoot me) I have purchased a i5 6600 + 16GB DDR4 + MOBO but I am now stuck on which card to get it has been a while since I properly looked (hence my surprise at the bottlenecked FX!) my budget can stretch to £250.00 looking at the RX 480 8GB or the 1060 currently which would be for the foreseeable future used at 1080p so am I right in looking at these two and which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Associate
what power supply have you got? both the 1060 and rx480 are fantastic graphics cards, the 1060 is a faster card overall but has less memory unless you count the 4gb 480 which personally in 2016 even at 1080p is a little low and really if you're wanting a new card to last a few years 6gb is the minimum for 1080p. personally I'd go for a 1060 just because I'm loyal to nvidia I can admit when AMD bring out a good card as I've owned some of their cards before but with the features of pascal power efficiency and the faster card overall I'd personally go for 1060

Associate
OP
I have a 750 watt corsair, the 1060's power efficency did catch my eye I must say. Would the 6GB be sufficient long term you think?

Associate
OP
Very true mate! A few years is what I am after :) I think the Nvidia card offers great performance, can be had for around £230ish too which is good I have not owned an Nvidia card since the 8800GT :-O

Associate
If you are planning on keeping the card for a long amount of time just get the 8GB 480. The 8GB Nitro+ looks good and there should be more custom cards in the future. Don't bother with 4GB for a card you want to keep for years.

Unfortunately some NVIDIA fans just say go for the 1060 when they probably know the 480 is the better card in the long run. The 480 gets a significant increase in Vulkan, these new API's will be used more frequently in the future and the 1060 will suffer in comparison with age. If you go with the 1060 don't be surprised if there is a fairly chunky performance deficit against the 480 in a few years on new games. If it was the other way around and NVIDIA was the better card future wise I would say go with the 1060, as it's your money you're spending so it shouldn't matter what brand loyalty anyone has.

Last edited:
Associate
The monitor is always the missing information :D

Choose free sync or gsync. Either card will be awesome paired with the right screen

Associate
No one knows what the future holds and whether the 480 will be the faster card in 12+ months time no one knows and people mentioning about apis and dx 12 etc again we don't know the FULL extent to the difference it'll make just yet so with that said buy the card that is the better card TODAY so with that said 1060 all the way

Associate
No one knows what the future holds and whether the 480 will be the faster card in 12+ months time no one knows and people mentioning about apis and dx 12 etc again we don't know the FULL extent to the difference it'll make just yet so with that said buy the card that is the better card TODAY so with that said 1060 all the way

As above. Nobody knows how the card will perform in the future. Right now, the 1060 is faster.

Right now if you were to blind test a 1060 and 8GB 480 Nitro+ you would find it hard to tell the difference. In Vulkan it's a different story. If you think looking at the ops situation with blinkered eyes is helpful then great. I believe if the op is going to keep the card for a long while, it's to his benefit to keep that in consideration when giving advice. AMD cards just get better and better with time, the GCN architecture is progressive, older NVIDIA cards on previous architectures just seem to regress.

Associate
I think the FreeSync vs G-Sync thing is a big issue, and if you have nothing tying you to either brand then a 480 and FreeSync monitor is probably the way to go, considering how much cheaper FreeSync is. That is unless you're not planning on getting a new monitor, in which case it's all about which of these two cards you think will be best for the next few years (hard to say).

Associate
I think the FreeSync vs G-Sync thing is a big issue...
It can be, but then again it won't be if the OP already has a 60Hz monitor. Even a 5-year old HD7950 paired with an i5 6600K at stock clocks (same as the i5 6600) will hold 60FPS in nearly all but the very latest games at 1920x1080 on high or ultra settings, and I'd imagine an RX480 will go like stink by comparison.

Associate
It can be, but then again it won't be if the OP already has a 60Hz monitor. Even a 5-year old HD7950 paired with an i5 6600K at stock clocks (same as the i5 6600) will hold 60FPS in nearly all but the very latest games at 1920x1080 on high or ultra settings, and I'd imagine an RX480 will go like stink by comparison.

I beg to differ using my laptop with a gtx 680m custom BIOS which sits at 1100mhz which is around a 52% overclock and 5ghz on the memory beats my twins gtx 660 Ti in some cases which isn't a lot slower than a Radeon 7950 and at 1080p it can do high or very high but ultra 60fps is out the question then again the 4gb Vram really helps too.

Associate
OP
Hey guys, thanks for the help after all that I looked into the rx 480 nitro + OC 8GB and as it is a brand new architecture and as noted above works brilliantly with the Vulkan API I have gone for that! It also looks really cool :p only problem is it is out of stock currently so I have to wait a little while, but worth the wait I am sure :)

Will have the i5/ddr4/mobo tomorrow though which I think will be a dramatic improvement over my FX6300 :)

Associate
OP

Yes I do indeed have a 60Hz monitor, looking at the benchmarks for the RX 480 it looks like I can expect ultra/very high settings and 60fps at 1080p a dramatic improvement over my r7 265.

Back
Top Bottom