Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

Soldato
Grrrrrr USB errors are back and all corsair link cables unplugged.

I am confused as to what is causing this. Although I think it is effecting my keyboard as sometimes it stops working. (it has no drivers available)

Am I missing something as there are no USB drivers for this board are there? Just the Intel chip set ?

Soldato
Yep link is gone. But I do have corsair software for my wireless headset.

I am now trying to work out if it's a USB port or a device. It's random and I can't seem to make it happen at will. However it does appear to effect my keyboard. So now moved the keyboard to another port and seeing if that happens.

Interestinly I had an error every time I tried to install the Intel management engine.

Associate
Hello, :)

I have the same motherboard as you guys and was looking for some info , can i ask you to check my overclock temps and settings etc?, this is the second time i have overclocked a CPU so would just like to be sure things are ok......

Here is my setup

i7 6700k @ 4.4Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 1.35V Memory Kit (XMP Enabled)
Corsair H80i V2 CPU Cooler
Samsung Evo 500GB SSD
WD 1TB Black HDD
GTX 970
EVGA Supernova G2 650W '80 Plus Gold' PSU

So I have the CPU Overclocked to 4.4Ghz my Vcore is 1.345.
I have my RAM XMP profile enabled (Confirmed in CPU-Z @1600)

I have done lots of Cinebench tests and also i have used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility all benchmarked and passed (Intel XTU required more Vcore to pass than Cinebench :confused:)

Also passed two 20 Min Stress tests in Intel XTU

The System is stable @ 1.345 Vcore but i can't go any lower, from what i have researched 1.4 is the cut off point for Skylake so this seems ok.
It's the temperatures i wanted to just run pass you guys if possible because the research i have done seems to be mixed, the general guides i have found seem to say that 80°C is the Max most people are happy to go however other forum posts i have read On other sites say 70-75 °C is to high for everyday use.

So i just wanted to ask you what you think of my temps.

Acording to HWMonitor my temps are 28-34 °C idle and 70 °C was the highest temp recoreded during the Intel XTU stress test two weeks ago

However the last week or so has been quite hot here (London UK) and i have noticed that after a few hours playing The Division or Black Desert Online my temps on a couple of cores and package have got to a max of 72°C according to HWMonitor.

The room i have my PC in does not have the best Ventilation so i think my ambient temperature would have been in the late 20s for sure.

What do you think guys?, i am hoping that when the weather gets a bit cooler that the temps will go back under 70°C but i guess because this is my second PC build i just want to check temps etc with you guys

Thanks to anyone that replies

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Considering you are using a 120mm AIO I suppose thats ok plus as you mention its been a bit warmer lately.

70c is nothing to worry about especially using XTU which will stress the cpu more than other everyday task will.

I pulled the keyboard from the 3.1 USB port it was in and so far 48 hours and no sign of the error. Been testing with other devices.

Think it's sorted !

Ive been using a Ducky all the time.

Associate
Thanks for the info stulid, a couple of weeks back when it was cooler the temps never hit higher than 67 degrees max colum in HWMonitor while gaming so I'm hoping it will get back there.

It's a bit cooler today, just had a game for a hour and half.... Max temp was 69 degrees so that's good.

Thanks again for the reply

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the info stulid, a couple of weeks back when it was cooler the temps never hit higher than 67 degrees max colum in HWMonitor while gaming so I'm hoping it will get back there.

It's a bit cooler today, just had a game for a hour and half.... Max temp was 69 degrees so that's good.

Thanks again for the reply

not even checked my temps, i whacked on a 4.5 bios overclock, i don't worry about temps when it crashes or reboots i then take a look.

Associate
not even checked my temps, i whacked on a 4.5 bios overclock, i don't worry about temps when it crashes or reboots i then take a look.

Ha ha, i wish i was more like that :)

Here is another thing if anyone knows about this board, i have my H80i v2 connected to the CPU FAN header (Top One) on the motherboard. i have read in a few guides that i should go into the bios and disable any fan control on the CPU FAN.

However in the Bios the options i get are Normal, Silent , Manual or full speed.

Just wanted to know what you guys have yours set too? I am using Corsair Link to control the CPU fan based on the coolent or Pump Temp.

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I set to Full speed in the BIOS, if you use SIV then its going to calibrate the fans on start up first time.

So you then need to go the CPU fan control in SIV and select fixed rpm and push it towards the max setting, then click apply.

I did that just in case SIV tried to override the BIOS full speed option some how.

Soldato
i left mine as normal in SIV and Bios, and then in corsair link set it to quiet

get great idle temps

L4oyF1V.jpg.png

sadly my pwm hub is not working as in i cant control in the fans in siv or bios, so will need to plug them in individually to the mobo

Associate
Thanks for the info guys, i only use Corsair link to control everything for my CPU

Before I had a failure on my AIO i set it to performance on the pump and didnt notice any increase in noise but the temps were a wee bit better.

You know stulid i have tried both silent and performance but did not notice any difference.

I have my H80i V2 set up to pull the warm air from inside the case, across the rad and push it out the back of the case , i know this is not the optimal way but i thought the other way might be worse as i would only have a 120mm exhaust at the top of my case.

Here are my idle temps

2m6jwj8.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to be a dufus but this thread is as good a place as any.

I'm possibly looking to upgrade soon and have always had Gigabyte motherboards but their current range of Z170 boards leaves me baffled.

Can anyone summarise (or point to somewhere which does) the differences between the various boards? Part of me says to just get something high-end and bonkers like this one but am I just wasting money unnecessarily?

Back
Top Bottom