Device has network connectivity but can't see Internet

Associate
A mate of mine has an odd issue with a bit of kit he has and he's asked me if I can help him.

He has an Asus RT-N66U router with an ISP supplied modem, 2 pc's and an ipad, both computers are hard wired. All have internet access.

He has a long cable going from router to living room, with a Netgear GS108 swtich.

Connected this is switch is a X-Box One and a media streamer. The XB has internet connectivity.

The Media Streamer however is another matter. It is on the network, the front display of the unit shows it's IP address and the network scanner app (Fing) also shows it on the network with the same IP address. The control app for the streamer also works (i.e. it controls the unit and plays back content stored on its internal HDD), but if you ask the device to see the Internet it says it is not connected. IP address it has is dynamic.

We took the cable out of the back of the XB and plugged that into the streamer and still the same, local network connectivity but no Internet. He also has a BD player as well, if we connect this into the switch to perform a firmware update again it has network connectivity but no Internet. If we take the cable out of the streamer and into the XB the XB goes online.

If we take the switch out of the mix altogether the long cable direct to the router works on the XB, but not on the streamer or BD player.

I'm guessing this is a setting in the router. Luckily the RT-N66U is the same router I have, I know it reasonably well, but not intimately, I set mine the way I wanted and have left it that way and I haven't touched since.

Everything in my mates network has been rebooted. Devices, router and switch, multiple times in different orders.

Anyone shed any light?!? Apologies for the long post, I'm sick of being the go to techie among my mates!!

Thanks

Associate
any way of checking what dns and gateway ips the streamer and non connecting things get?

maybe try manual entry of ip, dns and gateway if possible to match settings on machine that does get internet

Associate
OP
Very odd, the device is the on the network, has an ip address, ipad can see it and control it, but on the Asus router network map it doesn't appear, IP is range of the ones given out by the router......thoughts?

Soldato
Does the streamer/BD player have the correct gateway (which should be the router's IP) and DNS (which on default should be router's IP as well)?

But yes, I would try to set a manual IP + gateway + DNS on the devices themselves to see if that works.

Associate
OP
Sorry, should been clearer in my last couple of posts.

If I navigate through the various network settings on both the streamer and bd player all I can see on both devices is their ip address and mac address. There is no dns or gateway info that I can see.

The only page on the router I can anything about the streamer is the dhcp lease page.

It's a Melco N1A btw.

Firmware on Asus is update as well, if that matters

Thx!

Associate
OP
Hi,

Yes, his streamer his running version 3.00 software.

He's going to get a lend of a router to see if that makes a difference.
The devices that can't get online (but are on the network) do not have a way of displaying dns and gateway settings unfortunately.

Associate
OP
We put a new router and all is good, it instantly went online.

It's odd, because his streamer was working online with the Asus router with no issue then all of a sudden it wouldn't connect. But all his other devices were fine.

I'm going to swap out my router with his for a few days and see what happens. I'll bet it'll behave itself!

Thanks for the pointers.

Back
Top Bottom