Recent Watercooled PC, getting black screens with loud buzzing.

Man of Honour
If the card was struggling would I not notice some performance hits? Perhaps lower fps, stuttering, etc? As the games run perfectly smooth and the crash is very random sometimes not for days after many hours of gaming.

Yes.

Run gtav at high res just to check the gpu doesnt have a fault under heavy load.

Associate
OP
Okay so the crashes just seem entirely random the black screen just happened Overwatche's menu screen whilst I was showering and I was playing GTAV yesterday on the highest settings I can without it being hideously low fps without a hiccup, I can only assume it must be the ram that caused an error?

The Card I have has the stock bios it's one of the 290s that first hit the market and it's using bios number 2 (switch on the card), due to the 1st one failing when the 290x flash came out, A few years ago. I've read a bit about the Sapphire model being bad for black screens and possibly updating the bios may fix it? Also some people say underclocking the memory helps does anyone have any experience with these? I'm not sure where to start with it really, had I of known the Sapphire would be such a pain i'd of replaced it when it was still under warranty.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay so the crashes just seem entirely random the black screen just happened Overwatche's menu screen whilst I was showering and I was playing GTAV yesterday on the highest settings I can without it being hideously low fps without a hiccup, I can only assume it must be the ram that caused an error?

The Card I have has the stock bios it's one of the 290s that first hit the market and it's using bios number 2 (switch on the card), due to the 1st one failing when the 290x flash came out, A few years ago. I've read a bit about the Sapphire model being bad for black screens and possibly updating the bios may fix it? Also some people say underclocking the memory helps does anyone have any experience with these? I'm not sure where to start with it really, had I of known the Sapphire would be such a pain i'd of replaced it when it was still under warranty.

I had a very similar sounding issue with my Sapphire 7870 Ghz edition -- PC would run fine, but randomly crash to black screen and a loud buzzing noise. I thought I had ruled the card out and tested everything, but I was wrong and it turned out the card was plain faulty. I now have an MSI 390 and the machine runs pretty flawlessly.

Back
Top Bottom