Msi gt73vr

Associate
Did you ever receive feedback from MSI on this?

I had to disable the MSI_ActiveX_Service (bundled with Dragon Centre) as it was constantly pushing my CPU to 100% even when the laptop was idle. I also can report fan3 sits at 0RPM which concerns me as CPU temp is 68C with just this webpage open.

Just been gaming too but the GPU temp has dropped down to 34C where as the CPU won't budge. The laptop is great and I'd recommend it to anyone but as mentioned further up the thread it's a lot of money if things aren't quite working as expected.

I received an update from Carolyn in the MSI Notebook UK team 2 days ago to say that their FAE team is working on the issue and that they will give me an answer when they sort it out. If I get any further updates I will post them here.

Associate
I received this official response from MSI regarding the issue I logged with them earlier today.

Dear ,

The CPU, GPU specification and the thermal design will not be the same on other desktops, laptops and workstations user had before.

The CPU & GPU temperature is affected by many things but mainly from the system loading, environmental temperature, storage devices….

When user runs heavy loading program, notebook itself will generates heat due to the work load. This is a normal behavior. CPU 74 degree under loading is considered normal not overheating, and user may have the wrong image of the CPU temperature on notebook. We have the temperature protection mechanism for CPU&GPU to prevent the notebook overheating, so user shouldn’t need to worry about the temperature.

The system shutdown/reboot should be caused by something else but not overheat, since CPU temperature 74 degree is still far away from the overheat.

A powerful notebook like GT73VR, it's designed to give great performance under heavy loading games. Therefore, in order to have the ability to handle the great heat dissipation under environmental temperature from 25 to 35 degree, it is bundled with a powerful thermal fan. This is why user may feel that the fan is running loud.

We have set to have the optimize balance between the heat dissipation and the notebook performance.

Where user uses the notebook and how user feels about the temperature and the tolerance of noise is a subjective feeling for every people. If you think that the fan is running too loud, please update the latest EC firmware and do the EC reset afterwards since the latest version has modified the thermal fan speed. If the noise still bothers you, then we suggest to use the fan speed function in Dragon Center to adjust the fan speed on its own.

EC 17A1EMS1.107 http://download.msi.com/archive/frm_exe/nb/17A1EMS1.107.zip

Update Guide: https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/EC_Firmware_Update_SOP_for_Windows_EN.pdf

Kind regards,
UK Notebook & AIO Customer Service

Associate
Thanks for posting the response, much appreciated.

If one is willing to spend £2,700+ on a laptop then they've probably already done a fair amount of research on CPU's, GPU's and notebook performance :)

My only niggle is potentially 1 idle fan, I'll see if I can find much more on it but troubleshooting is usually saved for the 9-5 Zzzz. I'll also ping an email to their support again and see if I get a response this time and post anything useful on here.

Man of Honour
OP
I got more or less word for word the same reply. :D

The problem is, English isn't their first language, and to be honest they didn't answer my original question at all. I didn't have an issue with the noise, I had an issue with hardly any noise, meaning the fans weren't spinning at the right time. This in my opinion is why it was overheating. I updated the Dragon center and the bios, as well as the ECC firmware. Nothing helped in my case.

This new laptop is great though, even if I have had to 'downgrade' slightly to the 1070.

Associate
The 1070 is the model my mrs thinks I have.... :rolleyes: was my first choice but I caved to temptation and impulsively bought the 1080 model ;)

I haven't had the issues you've experienced which sounds like a bummer, just the CPU maxing out constantly but the culprit was the MSI_ActiveX_Service which was soon disabled. I'm curious about the fan3 sat at 0RPM and have since requested confirmation from MSI, maybe it's by design, maybe not but would be nice to find out either way :)

Caporegime
I received this official response from MSI regarding the issue I logged with them earlier today.

Dear ,

The CPU, GPU specification and the thermal design will not be the same on other desktops, laptops and workstations user had before.

The CPU & GPU temperature is affected by many things but mainly from the system loading, environmental temperature, storage devices….

When user runs heavy loading program, notebook itself will generates heat due to the work load. This is a normal behavior. CPU 74 degree under loading is considered normal not overheating, and user may have the wrong image of the CPU temperature on notebook. We have the temperature protection mechanism for CPU&GPU to prevent the notebook overheating, so user shouldn’t need to worry about the temperature.

The system shutdown/reboot should be caused by something else but not overheat, since CPU temperature 74 degree is still far away from the overheat.

A powerful notebook like GT73VR, it's designed to give great performance under heavy loading games. Therefore, in order to have the ability to handle the great heat dissipation under environmental temperature from 25 to 35 degree, it is bundled with a powerful thermal fan. This is why user may feel that the fan is running loud.

We have set to have the optimize balance between the heat dissipation and the notebook performance.

Where user uses the notebook and how user feels about the temperature and the tolerance of noise is a subjective feeling for every people. If you think that the fan is running too loud, please update the latest EC firmware and do the EC reset afterwards since the latest version has modified the thermal fan speed. If the noise still bothers you, then we suggest to use the fan speed function in Dragon Center to adjust the fan speed on its own.

EC 17A1EMS1.107 http://download.msi.com/archive/frm_exe/nb/17A1EMS1.107.zip

Update Guide: https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/EC_Firmware_Update_SOP_for_Windows_EN.pdf

Kind regards,
UK Notebook & AIO Customer Service

Thats some prrtty epic chinglish.

So msi a company to avoid then lol

Associate
Hello,

Welcome to MSI Online Notebook Customer Service Center, and we are very glad to serve you.
According to the serial no you have provided,your laptop have two fans,not four fans.Could you please provide the screenshot about Dragon Center?Thank you.

Best Regards,
MSI Notebook Technical Application Department

The above is the response I got when asking about fan3 showing 0RPM in comparison to the other 3 showing active changing RPM's. Obviously I'm more confused as the MSI GT73VR 035UK should only have 2 fans, whereas speedfan shows 3.

If anyone knows what's inside these boxes then MSI should so will have to take their word for it, at least it's in writing.. ;)

Running GTA V on max settings - both CPU & GPU temps sit around 50-60C which is more than acceptable for me and it looks amazing as I've only ever played it on the PS4, although I am using one of those laptop coolers to try and keep both the noise and temps down so I can sit next to the mrs and play it without an earache :)

Associate
Hi

I got the same model of laptop (the 1080 model) but i keep getting a high pitched / whistling noise even on idle. have any of you experienced this?

Regards,

Associate
Hi a66as,

We have the same model, I haven't experienced a high pitched/whistling noise so probably can't be much help. What option's do you have selected in the Dragon Centre under 'System Tuner' as I tend to stick to the same setup (see link here).

Have you always experienced this behaviour or has it only just occurred?

Back
Top Bottom