Need help re:keyboard

Soldato
My wife spilled some coke on her Dell XPS L501x and now some of the keys have stopped working.
I don't have much experience repairing laptops (always had desktops myself) and was wondering if there's an easy way to take the keyboard out and clean it all or is it as fixed in place as it looks?

Usually they just sit inside the case, connected by a couple of ribbon cables. However, there are usually several million screws to undo(slight exaggeration) and they will be of different sizes. It's best to photograph everything, each time you remove something, take a photo of where it came from and which screws held it in place. They can be like pealing an onion. Label stuff when it comes out and keep it's screws together. You can then revert to the images when you reassemble.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply and yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Just watched a video of some guy taking the whole thing apart and it looks like the keyboard is one sealed unit so I'm thinking we'd have to buy a new keyboard unit rather than clean the old one.

Was hoping it would be easier :(

Back
Top Bottom