HP Omen 2016 model

Associate
This looks great - what do others think?

Core i5-6300HQ
15.6" 1920 x 1080 IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit screen
8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM
128 GB M.2 SSD and 1TB HDD
GTX 965M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
3-cell, 61.5 Wh Li-ion
Supports battery fast charge: 90% in 90 minutes
2.2 kg

£849 inc vat

Associate
OP
Despite the forum's lack of interest(!) I've taken a leap of faith and ordered one, got a discount that brought the price down to £759.
I did consider the Dell Inspiron 7559 but the combination of an ssd and the slightly better gpu persuaded me to try the HP.

Associate
I've been leaning towards the Omen out now with a Core i7, SSD+HD and 4Gb 965M. How is the cooling though? Is it good enough to be able to play games for a while without the CPU/GPU being throttled back?

Associate
OP
Hi dcsarge
Really liking the Omen, it's used every day for YouTube, Netflix, Minecraft, Rocket League, Overcooked.

So it hasn't been used with any really punishing games but the performance is solid. My only criticism is that the fan has to kick in often and it is quite noisy. Inevitable with a fairly slim (for a gaming laptop) plastic design?

I rang the sales department and asked for a discount and got £90 off

Associate
Thanks for replying, only just spotted it. Glad to hear it is working well, we ended up grabbing one for our daughter as a an extra special Birthday/partial Christmas present this year as she has missed out on a lot the past couple of years due to family illness.

I had a quick look at it to make sure there were no obvious issues, especially with the screen, and now it is packed away for a couple of weeks. It was on sale so thought it worth over the laptops in the £600 bracket :).

I expect the fans to be a bit loud on something like that but you should hear my desktop, I still haven't sorted out the basic stock fans and my 7950 is getting a bit loud running Shadows of Mordor :o.

Back
Top Bottom