Turning to the darkside, laptop advice please :p

Caporegime
So I'm spending most of my free time away from home and my nice powerful desktop, but ive still got a fair amount of down time.

I'd like a decent laptop thats quite light as I'll be lugging it around the country on a combo of motorbikes and trains (any models that stand up particuarly well to abuse thinking vibes on the bike and getting chucked around in a back pack at stationsl.

Main use will be playing games like deus ex, MGS, GTA and maybe some stratagey games, also video playing while im cooking etc.

Battery life im not massive fussed about tbh, cause whenever i use it I'm gonna be within 5 foot of a power socket so if a smaller battery gets me a smaller form factor/better spec then thats good.

Screen/picture quality is quite high on my list though.

Budget 800 ish but could strech to 1k if its massively better.

(Of course cheaper does help lol)

So erre yeah

Small light weight,
Tough/well built for abuse,
Decent spec for games,
Good screen for films etc.

Are there any 17" laptops that dont weigh a ton these days?

Soldato
There are no light-weight 17" laptop's as far as i know.

Your budget isn't great for build quality + gaming but ill do my best.

From the list i would recommend the HP Omen if you value gaming as the GTX 965m shows a significant improvement over the 960 and will yield acceptable frame-rates on any game you throw at it.. although you may be playing on medium-high, whilst being only 2.2kg (similar to a razer blade)

Hopefully this helps.

Option 1: £849.00
HP OMEN 15-ax000na Gaming Laptop
Windows 10 Home 64
Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ Quad core processor
39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal Full-HD (1920 x 1080) display
8GB DDR4 with 128GB SSD and 1TB storage
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
2.2kg
81_C3_HN_trn_L_SL1500.jpg

Option 2: £799
Dell Inspiron 15 7559 Gaming laptop
Windows 10 Home 64
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Quad core processor
(15.6") diagonal Full-HD (1920 x 1080) display
8GB DDR4 with 1TB HDD + 8gb Embedded Flash cache
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
2.7kg
dell_inspiron_15_7559_review_side_and_back.jpg

Option 3: £750-£850
Asus K501UW
Windows 10 Home 64
Intel® Core™ i7-6500U
8GB DDR4 + Multiple storage options
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M (2/4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
2.0kg
71wrqvp23o_L_SL1200.jpg

Option 4: £799.97
Acer Aspire VN7-592G
Windows 10 Home 64
Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ
8GB DDR4 + 1tb HDD
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M (2GB GDDR5 dedicated)
2.3kg
4zu3_Acer_Aspire_VN7_592_G_79_DV.jpg

Man of Honour
Go for the fastest laptop GPU you can afford - the CPUs don't move on that fast and most of the recent ones are more than fast enough for gaming, etc. but GPUs quickly get left behind and can be a pain/not cost effective to upgrade.

Caporegime
OP
Great suggestions terly going to have a read through an compare them all.

I know the budget isnt massive but I've got a far too expensive desk top, this is more for casual game use while im away so medium on the detail settings is ok with me.

Man of Honour
Tefal. If you're moving to the dark side then you should embrace it with both hands. Don't make a half hearted attempt as you will likely regret it. Why not sell your desktop? The best gaming laptops are absolute desktop replacements. You could invest the money made from the sale of your desktop into a far better 17" mobile powerhouse. Take a look at some of those 1060 laptops. More than powerful enough for your needs and not overly heavy compared to how they used to be.

Soldato
I agree with Philstanbridge

The MSI GS63VR is a nice unit, weighs bugger all and is fast as hell... Only issue is battery but meh if you have a plug nearby you should be fine!

Caporegime
OP
Tefal. If you're moving to the dark side then you should embrace it with both hands. Don't make a half hearted attempt as you will likely regret it. Why not sell your desktop? The best gaming laptops are absolute desktop replacements. You could invest the money made from the sale of your desktop into a far better 17" mobile powerhouse. Take a look at some of those 1060 laptops. More than powerful enough for your needs and not overly heavy compared to how they used to be.

The hauling it around for hours + not got the money to spare for now.

Caporegime
OP
I agree with Philstanbridge

The MSI GS63VR is a nice unit, weighs bugger all and is fast as hell... Only issue is battery but meh if you have a plug nearby you should be fine!

Ok ill have a peak.

Ita mostly foing to be used wrll within plugs so battery is ok

Soldato
I think in that case allied with checking out the MSI model above that the Dell 7559 is a very good shout for the money!

My XPS 15 has the 2GB 960m and it plays Deus Ex MD at 1080p medium settings without problem so the 4GB version in the 7559 will handle it nicely plus it has the full quad core i7 6700k unlike the others specced above which is a great CPU for gaming / generally!

Soldato
Hi Tefal,

You may want to have a look at this we have at Overclockers.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...x-960m-2gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-24t-ms.html

Spec for Spec, it beats a lot of what Terley has shown you

15.6"
GTX 960M (2Gb GDDR5)
i7 6700HQ
128GB SSD + 1TB (7200RPM)
8Gb DDR IV
2.3KG

Currently at £839.99 and Gibbo has been generous enough in the past to goto £799

For an all round gaming notebook that you can use for

Associate
The hauling it around for hours + not got the money to spare for now.

So much THIS! I lugged my 5Kg gaming laptop into work with me one day (mainly to gloat) - a decent walk from Edinburgh city centre on a journey of about 2 miles with a few killer steep hills - and it just about killed me.

These things are not intended to be carried over great distances.

Soldato
So much THIS! I lugged my 5Kg gaming laptop into work with me one day (mainly to gloat) - a decent walk from Edinburgh city centre on a journey of about 2 miles with a few killer steep hills - and it just about killed me.

Hi There, you do not need a 5KG laptop to enjoy high quality mobile gaming. 5Kg for any manufacturer is on the very high end of the scale. Maybe a few generations ago increased weight was needed to get better cooling solutions.

For MSI of course we have some beasties in the GT83 / GT80 that are heavy. On the flip side I am very proud of our GS range with the weight starting at under 1.9Kg for a laptop with a GTX 1060 and i7 processor.

Soldato

If you are going to carry around a beast, especially in the likes of Edinburgh getting the right bag and adjusting it are vital ;)

I use an everki Titan and it took almost 10KG of laptop beast (6.5KG P570WM + 3.2KG power bricks) to the US and back without much drama.

Caporegime
OP
Hi Tefal,

You may want to have a look at this we have at Overclockers.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...x-960m-2gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-24t-ms.html

Spec for Spec, it beats a lot of what Terley has shown you

15.6"
GTX 960M (2Gb GDDR5)
i7 6700HQ
128GB SSD + 1TB (7200RPM)
8Gb DDR IV
2.3KG

Currently at £839.99 and Gibbo has been generous enough in the past to goto £799

For an all round gaming notebook that you can use for

That looks really good.
Cheers
Hi There, you do not need a 5KG laptop to enjoy high quality mobile gaming. 5Kg for any manufacturer is on the very high end of the scale. Maybe a few generations ago increased weight was needed to get better cooling solutions.

For MSI of course we have some beasties in the GT83 / GT80 that are heavy. On the flip side I am very proud of our GS range with the weight starting at under 1.9Kg for a laptop with a GTX 1060 and i7 processor.

Sub 2kg with a gtx1060 wpuld be interesting how much are the gs range?

Associate
I myself travel a fair bit about the country and have always had one of the stealth range, great laptop and really light.

I just treated myself to the GS73VR yesterday and unfortunately arrived today damaged (touch pad was pressed in and wouldn't work.... How that was missed on a QA check is beyond me) anyhow, I have replacement coming at some point but not to put you off they have always been a great laptops.

Caporegime
OP
mission creep is setting in and i keep looking at prricer laptops :/

the asus rog gl502 looks quite good, this years have 1070/1060 options

Back
Top Bottom