Vertagear chair, something not right

Soldato
Just assembled my SL4000 chair & something immediately seems odd, the piston unit that locates in the wheel housing ends up with 2/3 of it below the hole so it limits the height of the chair, also you usually get a cover that hides the piston rod as per the Oc photo. Has anyone got one the same that can explain whether it's how it's supposed to be before I contact OcUk

jube2o.jpg

ra5chl.jpg

Underboss
I'll have to check mine when I get home but 99% sure mine looks just like yours, never had an issue with the heights so took that as "the norm".

Underboss
Just checked mine, it protrudes about 2.5" from the bottom.

Not at all like the picture.

*and it's on the highest height adjustment.

Soldato
OP
Seems they made a couple of variations of the piston seating according to a video of someone assembling one, however there should be a telescopic thingy particularly as once you've lowered and raised the chair the piston becomes greasy. There is not one with mine and it's not shown on the parts list although it is on every photo all over the net, what a joke if it's omitted due to cost cutting

Associate
Right guys when the ram protrudes low like that you have the updated design with extra travel. All the chairs should have a cover for the ram so looks like yours is missing.

The cover should be in the box with the wheels etc.

Soldato
OP
Right guys when the ram protrudes low like that you have the updated design with extra travel. All the chairs should have a cover for the ram so looks like yours is missing.

The cover for the ram is not shown on the list of parts although it is shown on the parts list shown on the assembly video on the OcUk page & every photo on the net & I now know why, if you lower the chair right down it would be crushed into pieces because there is no room. and the knob for the tilt then catches on the wheekbase so that could get damaged as well

I'm not happy with this at all, I havent paid £234 for a codged up job with an exposed part underneath covered in oil. I'm going to ask to return it

Man of Honour

I can understand a piston with extra travel sticking out further at the bottom for stability but the ones I've seen also extend upwards from the base as far as normal - whereas in his image it barely sticks out above the base and looks like the normal piston.

EDIT: Wow looks like from the product images that is normal for the Vertagear bit poor IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
The cover for the ram is not shown on the list of parts although it is shown on the parts list shown on the assembly video on the OcUk page & every photo on the net & I now know why, if you lower the chair right down it would be crushed into pieces because there is no room. and the knob for the tilt then catches on the wheekbase so that could get damaged as well

I'm not happy with this at all, I havent paid £234 for a codged up job with an exposed part underneath covered in oil. I'm going to ask to return it

you're overreacting tbh.

My steelcase leap doesnt have a cover either.

Soldato
OP
Mine sticks through as yours does and didn't come with the cover.

Apparently it no longer comes with one.

As these chairs appear to be having ongoing factory modifications can you measure the width of the actual seat between the raised humps either side as I wonder if they altered this as well?
The actual seat area on mine is just 360mm which means anyone over 9 stone won't fit comfortably. I'm not exactly a fatbloke @ 6ft & 12 stone but when I sit the two padded side bits stick in my thighs and there is metal inside these parts so there is no give, after just a few minutes it becomes uncomfortable

OcUK Staff
It's not a fault. It's by design. The pictures need updating to show this, we are awaiting them from Vertagear. It's the same design as Herman Miller chairs if you check those.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom