HDMI RJ45

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I have a need to get an HDMI signal to an outbuilding of mine which is too far away for HDMI. I will be running data cabling to it anyway and can of course add additional runs.

I seem to remember someone on here recommending an HDMI RJ45 set of baluns which were fairly cheap, but worked very well.

Does anyone have any first hand recommendations :) It isnt for anything fancy, just to get a Sky feed out there from an HDMI matrix in my house.

Caporegime
How far, and how many joins are there in the cable (e.g. patch panels, wall outlets), and is the cable Cat6A, Cat6, Cat5e?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
How far, and how many joins are there in the cable (e.g. patch panels, wall outlets), and is the cable Cat6A, Cat6, Cat5e?

It'll be cat5e as I have a reel of it :) No joints, would be a dedicated straight cable run for video away from the actual data network.

Neet® - HDMI Extender over / Cat5e / Cat6 / RJ45 network cable - BALUN - 480p (60m) / 1080p Full HD (30m)

25 quid.

Excellent, do you have personal experience of them, they work as a normal hdmi cable would? :)

Soldato
Yes, I pipe HDMI from downstairs to upstairs. The cat5e cables are 30m long, I couldn't be bothered to shorten them as they came pre-built. I also use a Neet HDMI splitter to split the signal. Sounds like you will won't need this if you have a matrix.

I have had the dc power supply that comes with it fail once, but Neet customer service replaced it without any quibbles whatsoever. It was just the power supply anyway, I could have easily got a replacement for a few quid.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
Nice, I'll get a set of those then. This would only be around 20m so should be fine you'd hope :) thanks again

Soldato
I have an eSYNiC one. It was £30 but has the added benefit of having HDMI out on both units. This means I can have the sender connected to my sky box which then connects directly to the Amp in the living room, whilst the Cat6 connector goes to the bedroom unit and the hdmi from that into the bedroom TV.

Means can watch in both locations at the same time if I want to.

Don
Having tried a few at work. If you're going to do it, use the Neet cat6 2 port model.

Try cat5e first if you have it, if you do go for cat6, remember to get cat6 jacks as the cable is slightly thicker.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
My Neet HDMI extenders work very nicely. I have the dual Ethernet ones rather than the single run. Would recommend.

Thanks for the second recommendation, I'll go with these for sure if they work reliably. 2 runs isn't an issue I have loads of cable..

I have an eSYNiC one. It was £30 but has the added benefit of having HDMI out on both units. This means I can have the sender connected to my sky box which then connects directly to the Amp in the living room, whilst the Cat6 connector goes to the bedroom unit and the hdmi from that into the bedroom TV.

Means can watch in both locations at the same time if I want to.

Thanks for the recommendation, i don't need to split the signal in my case but they do sound good too. :)

20m you can probably do with a long thick HDMI lead

I did think about this but I've had mixed luck with long hdmi cables, I figured a different solution actually designed for the task would probably be a better bet. Also cat5 is more versatile down the line once laid :)

Having tried a few at work. If you're going to do it, use the Neet cat6 2 port model.

Try cat5e first if you have it, if you do go for cat6, remember to get cat6 jacks as the cable is slightly thicker.

Yeah I will definitely be using cat5e first just because it's what I already have, we'll see!

Soldato
The Neets with the inbuilt IR sender, although £15 more does seem a good option (if it works) for sky where cannot do wireless control

How were you planning to deal with the IR ?

The Neet and others strangely do not seem to specify their compliancy with a particular hdmi standard, no reference to high-speed which is meant to be the indicator it would work with a 4K sky feed. or a higher res computer monitor.
I, too, am looking for sky/other media distribution some 30m and would maybe like future proofing

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
The Neets with the inbuilt IR sender, although £15 more does seem a good option (if it works) for sky where cannot do wireless control

How were you planning to deal with the IR ?

I don't need IR just for sky, sky comes with a remote control app which I find I use most of the time. I did give it some consideration but the app is absolutely fine for me :)

Back
Top Bottom