• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
First time post, first time PC builder, and first time overclocker.

After finally managing to get Afterburner to overclock beyond 1050/1450 (wish I'd found this thread earlier), and finding out flickering isn't an overclocking issue, I'm now starting to experiment.

I have the MSI Power Edition, which had a stock voltage of 1.21mV, and ASIC of 71.9 :(.

Initially, I put the voltage down to 1.1mV for the limited oc of 1050/1450 that I'd been running and that seems to be fine.

I'm testing stability using Sleeping Dogs benchmark and Kombustor. I've kept the mem at 1450 all along as that was the max CCC overdrive allowed so seemed a safe value.

I'm getting 1150/1450 stable at 1.179mV, and 1170/1450 stable at 1.2mV. 1200 definitely not stable at 1.2mV and I think I'd need 1.25mV for that. Max temp is 59 degrees.

So, looks like I don't have a great overclocker. Any tips for improving the clock? For example, would there be any benefit in reducing mem speed?

Also, I have triple voltage control. Do I need to mess with those separately?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
First time post, first time PC builder, and first time overclocker.

After finally managing to get Afterburner to overclock beyond 1050/1450 (wish I'd found this thread earlier), and finding out flickering isn't an overclocking issue, I'm now starting to experiment.

I have the MSI Power Edition, which had a stock voltage of 1.21mV, and ASIC of 71.9 :(.

Initially, I put the voltage down to 1.1mV for the limited oc of 1050/1450 that I'd been running and that seems to be fine.

I'm testing stability using Sleeping Dogs benchmark and Kombustor. I've kept the mem at 1450 all along as that was the max CCC overdrive allowed so seemed a safe value.

I'm getting 1150/1450 stable at 1.179mV, and 1170/1450 stable at 1.2mV. 1200 definitely not stable at 1.2mV and I think I'd need 1.25mV for that. Max temp is 59 degrees.

So, looks like I don't have a great overclocker. Any tips for improving the clock? For example, would there be any benefit in reducing mem speed?

Also, I have triple voltage control. Do I need to mess with those separately?

Thanks
Welcome.

I suggest not using Kombustor for extended periods because the program it is derived from (Furmark) is a known card killer. I prefer to loop the Heaven benchmark for 20 minutes or so to guage stability.

The cooler on your PE card is pretty good so it will be safe to use max available volts (should be 1.225v). Leave the memory at stock settings, up volts to 1.225v and test how far the GPU can go. Start with 1200MHz and go up or down from there. Once you find an overclock that appears totally stable, subtract 25MHz for safety margin. Once you final GPU overclock is established, up the VRAM. Generally the VRAM will clock somewhere between 1375-1500MHz.

If you end up with final clocks somewhere around 1150MHz core and 1450MHz vram, be happy. Any more will be a bonus.

I have had 7850's that can do 1300MHz+ whilst others struggle to pass 1050MHz on 1.225v. GPU quality is pot luck, so just be thankful you have not got a stinker.

Associate
Tried 55BUKs settings and keep getting this error after about 5-10 seconds of running heaven @ tess-normal x4 AA / Antistropy @ 1920*1080

Is this because i have yet to OC the CPU or have i done something wrong? Im also using his custom fan profile

GPU-Heaven.jpg

Soldato
OP
Tried 55BUKs settings and keep getting this error after about 5-10 seconds of running heaven @ tess-normal x4 AA / Antistropy @ 1920*1080

Is this because i have yet to OC the CPU or have i done something wrong? Im also using his custom fan profile

GPU-Heaven.jpg
GPU Voltage may be too low at 1150mv. Try 1225mv or reduce the GPU overclock.

Associate
What do the 1gb models clock like? I just got one, scored 1300 on heaven at the suggested settings on here.

Last edited:
Associate
555BUK - If im using the same card, why would the same settings not work for me?

Sorry if thats a numpty question, i just assumed same card so settings should work lol

What voltage should i not put it passed for a 24/7 clock

Soldato
OP
What do the 1gb models clock like? I just got one, scored 1300 on heaven at the suggested settings on here.
1GB cards should clock to similar levels as 2GB cards. As far as I know they contain exactly the same components except for 1GB of missing VRAM. If anything, the VRAM on 1GB cards may clock slightly higher (there is less chance of 1 module being poor when you have less modules).

555BUK - If im using the same card, why would the same settings not work for me?

Sorry if thats a numpty question, i just assumed same card so settings should work lol

What voltage should i not put it passed for a 24/7 clock
Some GPU's are just better than others. Purer silicon tends to require less volts to obtain a given clock speed. The purest silicon tends to come from the centre of a wafer (a large disc from which many GPU's are printed). Lower quality silicon may come from the outer edges of the same wafer.

Similar tolerances exist within all electrical and mechanical components. Although they are made the same, some are just better. It is the same with light bulbs. Install a set of bulbs connected to the same switch and they will all pop at different times.

AMD appears to measure the quality of it's GPU's by ASIC value. Lower ASIC's tend to require more volts to run at a given clock speed. Higher ASIC's require less volts for the same speeds. Unfortunately the GPU you get is completely random. The same applies to the memory modules and all other components on your graphics card. Some people get very lucky and get great GPU's, great VRAM and a high quality PCB. Others get utter rubbish, whilst most sit in the middle.

With good cooling 7850's can handle 1.225v. Many low ASIC GPU's have default voltage set to 1.218v anyway, so 1.225v is just a tiny fraction above standard for many cards.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks the help.

Currently have mine at 1200/1450 @ 1.225. 1200 was not stable at 1.210 or 1.215.

Heaven currently at 57.6fps and 1450 score.

Will have a play with the mem speed now.

Associate
1GB cards should clock to similar levels as 2GB cards. As far as I know they contain exactly the same components except for 1GB of missing VRAM. If anything, the VRAM on 1GB cards may clock slightly higher (there is less chance of 1 module being poor when you have less modules).

I would echo your thoughts, however, I have had a few crashes at 1050 core, 1200 memory. 71.9% ASIC. This is ONLY when playing PES2013.

I am new to this scenario, however I am more than happy with the 1GB 7850 scores from Heaven 3.0. (1300)

Any advice welcomed, equally don't expect much more from a budget card.

Soldato
OP
I would echo your thoughts, however, I have had a few crashes at 1050 core, 1200 memory. 71.9% ASIC. This is ONLY when playing PES2013.

I am new to this scenario, however I am more than happy with the 1GB 7850 scores from Heaven 3.0. (1300)

Any advice welcomed, equally don't expect much more from a budget card.
What volts are you running for 1050MHz? I had one very poor chip that could only just manage 1050MHz at 1.225v. Try upping your volts to 1.2v and see how far she goes. The memory should be good for atleast 1375MHz.

Soldato
Hi,

My MSI 7850 was crashing at 1050 in certain games too (rarely, but still). I've given it a very slight voltage bump (from 1,138v to 1,140v, 1,139v worked too but I'd get rare crashes in Crysis 1, although this might not be OC-related) and it helped. You can give it a go as it won't increase heat levels. My ASIC is rather low, sitting at 75,8 and the card is a really poor clocker. I takes 1180mv to push 1100 mhz on the core so don't worry too much;p The temps are also a bit high, when it's colder BF3 Ultra in MP heats it up to 63-66 C. When it's hotter it goes up to 69-70 and that's with a side case fan installed and modified cable management (didn't really help that much, temp-wise):p Witcher 2 usually hits 2 C higher;p But this is on stock fan profile to be fair.

I suspect that the cooler might not be seated entirely properly. However, idle temps are 25-32 so well within normal. I'd reapply the termal compund but I'm afraid of losing my warranty and I can't technically RMA it as the box shows "under 72 C full load":p

Associate
Can you help me with overclocking my graphics card please
download sapphire trixx, install it, the rest should be pretty straightforward. Slowly raise "core clock" by 25mhz until you crash in games, then raise voltage by 50mv (50mv=0.05v). I said "until you crash in games" because you're supposed to test it for stability in games. Also raise memory clock to 1375mhz, thats the max for performance for this type of gpu from what I've seen on this forum and from personal experience. Also turn "power limit" or whatever its called to 20%. It's the only setting that has "20" as a max. Raise it to the max. Most cards generally overclock to 1050mhz core frequency and 1375mhz memory on stock voltage so you can start there if you want.

Back
Top Bottom