Vertagear chair, something not right

OcUK Staff
As these chairs appear to be having ongoing factory modifications can you measure the width of the actual seat between the raised humps either side as I wonder if they altered this as well?
The actual seat area on mine is just 360mm which means anyone over 9 stone won't fit comfortably. I'm not exactly a fatbloke @ 6ft & 12 stone but when I sit the two padded side bits stick in my thighs and there is metal inside these parts so there is no give, after just a few minutes it becomes uncomfortable

Nothing about the chair seat & back dimensions has been altered from day one. The decision was made by Vertagear to change the seating of the gas lift in order for the chairs to appeal to a wider range of people with regards to height.

Soldato
OP
Nothing about the chair seat & back dimensions has been altered from day one. The decision was made by Vertagear to change the seating of the gas lift in order for the chairs to appeal to a wider range of people with regards to height.

I've had a reply from Vertigear. they have made the chair suitable for smaller people:

Thank you for reaching out to us! You received the new version of the gas lift - which corrects an issue that was caused by the overall height adjustment of the chair. The original gas lift was for audiences from 1.75m to 2.00m but with the new versions are made for audiences from 1.65m to 1.90m. We wanted to make the chairs available to the average consumers which are 1.65-1.75cm to sit and tilt comfortably, therefore we decided to upgrade the gas lift. The gas lift cover is not compatible with the new version of the gas lift. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

So basically they had an issue with the casting fracturing so bodged a replacement so there is now no room for the gas lift cover, & if you drop the chair whilst sitting you can smash the tilt knob if it's over one of the wheel struts :confused:

Now I've had the chair for a few hours I can see I will never be comfortable, the seat part is just 360mm, that's just 60mm wider than my kids old carseat !!. 5 minutes & my thighs ache as does the wifes, only my 8 stone beanpole son can sit comfortably, metal inside the thighpads is the cause as there is no give. right now I'm sitting on a cushion

Soldato
You have a number of issues with the seat. The telescopic cover aside - my leap doesnt have one and they are £700+ new (didn't buy mine new!), and as chug said herman millers dont have them either - the seat clearly isn't for you.

So basically they had an issue with the casting fracturing so bodged a replacement
Well that's just an assumption. The change has bought it in line with most other seats having the gas lift below the bottom of the base.
so there is now no room for the gas lift cover, & if you drop the chair whilst sitting you can smash the tilt knob if it's over one of the wheel struts
Are you ever going to do that, though?

Look, It's not big enough. send it back, buy something wider, job done.

Last edited:
Underboss
Now I've had the chair for a few hours I can see I will never be comfortable, the seat part is just 360mm, that's just 60mm wider than my kids old carseat !!. 5 minutes & my thighs ache as does the wifes, only my 8 stone beanpole son can sit comfortably, metal inside the thighpads is the cause as there is no give. right now I'm sitting on a cushion

I'm 6ft and 18st, I think the seat is very comfy. The sides have given me no issues from day one, seems like with all the dramas the chair isn't the right one for you, have you considered the SL5000? Think they bill that as a bigger chair.

Soldato
I'm 6ft and 18st, I think the seat is very comfy. The sides have given me no issues from day one, seems like with all the dramas the chair isn't the right one for you, have you considered the SL5000? Think they bill that as a bigger chair.

with a base that narrow how on earth are you fitting in it? No way i could, i'd struggle with 400mm base lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

18 stone :eek: I don't get how you can possibly sit on a chair as narrow as this, without wanting to sound rude what is your measurements round your seating area?

Underboss
Dunno, I have never measured my ass lol I'm a 36/38" waist though.

I'm not grossly obese*, I played rugby and boxed for a long time as a teenger/young adult.

I remember the sides feeling stiff but after a few days they softened up.

*too look at, clearly using a BMI scale I am.

OcUK Staff
I've had a reply from Vertigear. they have made the chair suitable for smaller people:

Thank you for reaching out to us! You received the new version of the gas lift - which corrects an issue that was caused by the overall height adjustment of the chair. The original gas lift was for audiences from 1.75m to 2.00m but with the new versions are made for audiences from 1.65m to 1.90m. We wanted to make the chairs available to the average consumers which are 1.65-1.75cm to sit and tilt comfortably, therefore we decided to upgrade the gas lift. The gas lift cover is not compatible with the new version of the gas lift. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

So basically they had an issue with the casting fracturing so bodged a replacement so there is now no room for the gas lift cover, & if you drop the chair whilst sitting you can smash the tilt knob if it's over one of the wheel struts :confused:

Shorter, not smaller.

Back
Top Bottom