Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Man of Honour
I did duck breast last night. I was barbecuing other stuff so finished skin on a skillet on the barbecue. It worked really well for the duck 2 hours at 57. Texture was perfect if anything a tiny bit pinker would have been my preference for next time but that was likely the time spent crisping the skin on the weber. I'd say it was between medium and medium rare.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've wanted to make that chicken sandwich for ages :) It does look delicious.

I've had mixed results with steak in the past. My new method is to simply cook it for one hour at 50C, take out and pat dry, then sear incredibly quickly over a chimney starter. Seems to work pretty damn well.

Associate
I've made a variation on that chicken burger and it is honestly the best chicken burger I've ever had.

Also chimney starter for sous vide steak is the way to go. Always get a good crust and that charcoal taste

Man of Honour
I've made a variation on that chicken burger and it is honestly the best chicken burger I've ever had.

Also chimney starter for sous vide steak is the way to go. Always get a good crust and that charcoal taste

I'm looking forward to doing chicken drummers and so on the same way. So good!

Associate
Tried mine out tonight for the first time and did a couple of salmon fillets cooked at 50 degrees for 40 minutes in a little lemon olive oil. Beautiful and such a soft melt in your mouth texture.

Looking forward to trying a few more things over the next couple of weeks!

Soldato
What containers are you guys using?

Until now I've been using a large metal stock pot but that radiates out a lot of heat so I'm wanting to get a polycarbonate container and lid with a hole cut out for the Anova to sit in.

Soldato
Excellent, thanks for the pointers guys.

Are any of you using a rack to hold whats being cooked in place? I liked the look of the Lipavi racks but baulked at the price so I'm going to pick up an Ikea Variera in the next week or so and see how that works.

Man of Honour
Hadn't really thought about containers. Have just been using a big le creuset pan i've got (mum couldn't lift it anymore so gave it to me, for which I'm grateful as it would cost a fortune no doubt!)

Soldato
The polycarbonate containers arrived today and I've already drilled the hole for the Anova. A minor snag is that the 64mm hole saw is about 3mm too big so the Anova is a bit slack in the hole. I've ordered some PVC tubing which I'll cut and lay around the hole which should make it a snug fit.

Soldato
I'm not sure if it's the Anova app update or the new firmware on my wireless access points that's done it, but the Anova app on my iPhone can't find the Anova.

I can see that the Anova is connected to the WiFi - I can ping it and I got a push notification on my phone when it got up to temperature but after rebooting everything the app still can't find it.

Back
Top Bottom