Oculus Rift

Soldato
You can pretend you're in a convertable with all the air blowing in your face. :D

I've put a fan in front of my face while VR roller coasting and it makes for an interesting experience. :D

Funny you should say this. I was playing yesterday and went around a corner and skimmed a wall which damaged the door and made it swing open. Just as it did there was a gust of wind through my window and it made me jump :eek: :)

Its these sorts of things and looking down at my virtual arm to look at my watch that make VR. Also fun turning off the headlights then hearing a bang, turning them on again and realising you came off a corner into the trees ps, don't try turning off your headlights on an unlit wooded road, even for a few seconds!! :eek:

Associate
So I just spent my first evening with the rift and I'm impressed. Tried pretty much everything that's free on oculus store, kept coming back to lucky's tale which surprised me as I nearly didn't even bother downloading it.

New rig was money well spent. Barely even came out of sleep mode the whole time. I think the fans on the gpu spun up once, for a split second, probably cos they were bored. Haven't even touched settings.

Presence is awesome. Just every now and again, I get a flash like I'm actually in the game. Total head trip! Got a half day at work today so I'm going to spend the afternoon, tweaking configs and settings and then it'll be about time to download UE4 and start building stuff.

Soldato
I could get a wheel but i don't have much room and my desk isn't exactly the most sturdy thing in the world so it might be a bit of a wobbly experience!

Might just stick with elite for now.

How do you manage the galaxy map in VR if you dont mind me asking? Using HOTAS or controller?

Soldato
maybe like this ?

Thanks, looks great but he didnt do a couple of things in the video:

Actually show it plotting a destination and route. I was waiting for him to do that. I mean do you type in names or can i just say the name of the system :)D) Can i for instance say. Plot route from current location to X system. And it will do it all for me? It kinda reminds me of a Blade Runner scene for some reason (the bit where Deckard is zooming/panning around the photo on the monitor)

I just look at the galaxy map and cry its way too hideously complex to navigate in the rift. I will have a hunt for a voice attack profile ;)

Associate
My rift has been sitting in its box since it arrived over a month ago. Our house move got delayed so I'm living amongst as sea of boxes. It's so frustrating!!

Yeah well I really hope yours is working ok when you get around to trying it. I've been waiting for 3 weeks for them to send me a replacement cable which I'm pretty certain wont fix the problem that the rift disconnects when ever I handle it. I can wobble the hdmi cable around all day long and it wont disconnect but if I touch the frame and slightly twist it (like when putting it on) it disconnects. So to not taint the experience I am holding off using it until I get something that will work.

jc0

jc0

Associate
Please could someone help me spec a system specifically for playing VR (Rift & Vive compatible)? I'm wanting to be able to consistently hit 90fps. Can a single 980Ti achieve this? According to the guide, an i5 processor would be fine...is this correct? Are no VR games utilising 6 cores? I want to allow for a big of future-proofing but low-cost is also important :) Thanks in advance for any advice!

Soldato
Can a single 980Ti achieve this?

A single 980Ti and an i5 woudl be perfectly fine for current VR, who knows what the future will bring though but by the time you need anything beefier in terms of an upgraded HMD newer cards will be out (1080Ti or an AMD equivalent.

I would always try and stretch your budget as far as you can though, hell if you can get a 1080 and an i7 with 16GB system RAM :)

jc0

jc0

Associate
A single 980Ti and an i5 woudl be perfectly fine for current VR, who knows what the future will bring though but by the time you need anything beefier in terms of an upgraded HMD newer cards will be out (1080Ti or an AMD equivalent.

I would always try and stretch your budget as far as you can though, hell if you can get a 1080 and an i7 with 16GB system RAM :)

Thanks Nismo! So just to be clear, a 980Ti will allow me to consistently achieve 90fps with the current games?

Soldato
a 980Ti will allow me to consistently achieve 90fps with the current games?

I've had no problem running anything I've tried on my Vive in the last 3 months other than VR Funhouse on high, but than is more due to not having a separate card purely for physics rather than graphics.

If you start getting into supersampling or tinkering with games that allow graphics settings changes, then it can cause things to dip. There is always reprojection which lowers things to 45FPS if 90 can't be maintained, but usually it's hard to tell the and the experience stays smooth.

Soldato
Thanks Nismo! So just to be clear, a 980Ti will allow me to consistently achieve 90fps with the current games?

No. Well, if they are made specifically for VR or you lower some settings then yes.

Upping pixel display override to 1.5 / 2 will heavily impact performance in any game.

Project Cars I play on a mix of low, medium and high settings to maintain 90fps.
DCS world you must lower settings otherwise it falls well below 90fps
Some games are just a bit buggy, e.g. Dirt Rally plays fine on most tracks but there are a couple when fps drops to 60 or 70fps even when though GPU usage is only at 50% and CPU usage is lower

(i7 [email protected], 980ti@1470/2000)

Associate
I recently received my prescription rift lenses from VR lens lab. For me it's a massive improvement over wearing glasses in the rift and was well worth the cost. They fit easily into the rift and are secure without movement. In use they are far more comfortable than using glasses and give a better field of view. Very pleased and would recommend them to anyone using glasses in the rift.

Soldato
I recently received my prescription rift lenses from VR lens lab. For me it's a massive improvement over wearing glasses in the rift and was well worth the cost. They fit easily into the rift and are secure without movement. In use they are far more comfortable than using glasses and give a better field of view. Very pleased and would recommend them to anyone using glasses in the rift.

were you a kickstarter backer? Or did you just order on their website? If so how long did it take from order to delivery? :D thx

Associate
My prescription lens covers arrived this weekend, ordered on the 12th July. Just had a quick blast in Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally. Comfort is the biggest plus as the bridge of my glasses had always pressed into my nose. FoV is a little larger and they seem to fit into place securely enough. Taking the Rift on and off is a lot easier now although I still can't get it to fit as suggested by Oculus.

For £65 they are looking like a worthwhile investment so far.

Soldato
My local opticians are happy to receive custom lenses orders. Apparently vr lens lab website has the option where you can download a spec sheet etc ...give that to your local opticians and bam they will sort out a custom lenses for you...soo i guess would only then need vr lens lab for the oculus inserts.

I wonder if it would be possible to 3d print the lense inserts hrmm. I may have access to a 3d printer.

edit: quick google and indeed someone did do just that!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4fwmq9/i_made_my_own_prescription_lens_insert/

Last edited:
i was under the impression that glasses work differently depending on how far away they are from your heard, so would the lenses be a different affect with the same prescription as your standard glasses, assuming the lenses are further away?

Soldato
I dont have the vr lense lab lenses but apparently they are pretty much flush on the oculus lenses (though not touching) they sorta click into place apparently. So this should give much better fov as opposed to wearing glasses does. A couple of folk on the oculus forums were not happy with the results though.

Associate
I've opted for a Rift because it suits my budget and playstyle. I favour a seated experience, and the Vive is impractical due to limited living space. The built-in audio with the Rift is a huge selling point, and the simplified setup process and more ergonomic design also contributed to my decision. I've also noticed that while VorpX now supports the Vive, it is not far along enough in terms of development for non-native VR titles, whereas the Rift is firmly established.

Back
Top Bottom