GTX 1080 VRMs not making full contact with waterblock

Associate
Hi everyone, yesterday I had an issue with my EK waterblock and GPU. I attempted to install the waterblock on the card but when checking the card to make sure each thermal pad had good contact I noticed some of the VRM pads were not fully touching the waterblock. To be safe I've ordered new paste and pads but despite refitting the block 4 times I could not get all the pads to have no gaps in between them.

Has anyone else had this issue, am I missing something obvious?

Any help is greatly appreciated as always :)

Associate
Myn made contact fine on my msi aero you did screw block on as it would pull the block down and make contact also if u did you use the rite screws as some were longer then others and there instructions was not the best they seem like the same ones they have used for years.

Not saying you done any of this just exploring the possibilitys

Also which card gave you got

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Myn made contact fine on my msi aero you did screw block on as it would pull the block down and make contact also if u did you use the rite screws as some were longer then others and there instructions was not the best they seem like the same ones they have used for years.
Not saying you done any of this just exploring the possibilitys
Also which card gave you got
Yep, I made sure that I used all the correct screws, re-fitted the block three times and then installed the backplate. It appears to be making contact fine now. Also my card is a Palit FE GTX 1080 :)

When fitting thermal pads to a GPU l always put a tiny bit of paste on both sides. It helps to make 100% contact and keep it in place.
I was going to do that if the problem continued to persist with the new thermal pads however wouldn't it also act as a insulator due to the heat being carried through another medium

Did you contact EK at all?
Yep, I'm still awaiting a response :)

Soldato
When fitting thermal pads to a GPU l always put a tiny bit of paste on both sides. It helps to make 100% contact and keep it in place.

I was going to do that if the problem continued to persist with the new thermal pads however wouldn't it also act as a insulator due to the heat being carried through another medium.

EKWB recommened this when fitting pads to my 670 so have done this ever since has not caused any issues-

STEP 3: INSTALLING WATER BLOCK
1. PLACING THERMAL PADS ON PCB.
Place thermal pads on chips so that numbers on chips match size of thermal pads. EKWB made sure users have more than enough pads to cover all surfaces that need to be covered to make block fully functional).

EKWB recommends using small drops of electrically non-conductive(for example: Arctic Cooling MX-2 ™,MX-4 ™or GELID GC-Extreme™) thermal grease on each phase regulator (that is being covered with thermal pad“2”) in order to even further improve the thermal performance of the EK-FC670GX DCIIseries water block.

Associate
OP
What was their response ?
I didn't check the thermal pad contact when I fitted mine but it's been running since the day after 1080 launch with no issues so I guess it must be OK.
What was at fault, suggested advice from EKWB, outcome? Thanks
I sent them a reply a few days ago but I'm still waiting for another response via email, the speed of the replies isn't a big issue as I'm away at the moment so I can't do much about it currently :)

EKWB recommened this when fitting pads to my 670 so have done this ever since has not caused any issues-
Hmm, if when I get back the card doesn't work (Fingers crossed when I left it they all appeared to make contact) I will try this, thank you for the suggestion :)

Back
Top Bottom