Plex front end for NL40

Soldato
Hi

I have an NL40 microserver and a separate HTPC in the living room which has mainly been used for kodi over the years

As times are a changing Plex is becoming more suited to the household needs but the NL40 isn't up to it.
I can run Plex server on the HTPC which is an i3 and it works fine but that's 2 machines that have to be on now. New smart TV has Plex built in so HTPC could go.

Nothing wrong with NL40 and I would like to keep it as a nas and go with something smaller to run the front end on. Looked at Nvidia shield but seems buggy and limited.

Qnap and similar seem over priced but i do have money to do something......just don't know what.

Associate
I'm running Plex Media Server on my NL40 and it's been completely fine - What OS you're running it on?

Mine is running on Ubuntu Server on ESXi. Admittedly as it's just me and the missus we're not running multiple streams off it - but it barely breaks a sweat.

Soldato
Build your own NAS/Plex server... UnRaid

Does way more than you could ever want it to...

unraiddash.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi

I have an NL40 microserver and a separate HTPC in the living room which has mainly been used for kodi over the years

As times are a changing Plex is becoming more suited to the household needs but the NL40 isn't up to it.
I can run Plex server on the HTPC which is an i3 and it works fine but that's 2 machines that have to be on now. New smart TV has Plex built in so HTPC could go.

Nothing wrong with NL40 and I would like to keep it as a nas and go with something smaller to run the front end on. Looked at Nvidia shield but seems buggy and limited.

Qnap and similar seem over priced but i do have money to do something......just don't know what.

I've always uesd my N40 as my main HTPC and server.

It runs Kodibuntu and hosts SAB, Sickbeard, Dynamic DNS updater, Pi Hole, holds all my media on JBOD and runs my front end Kodi instance with ease. (it has a HDMI graphics card added to it)

Soldato
OP
Sorry. Should have said I'm on windows home server 2012.

Got it all running and using drive bender for pooling, sab, sick rage etc
Might be that this is a problem resources wise

Been eyeing a Dell T20 as a bit of an upgrade and would go down a Linux route this time. Just wasn't comfortable when I built it.

Like the look of unraid above

Soldato
Your plex client should be able to direct play or direct stream your files, if not then it will transcode them and eat up CPU like no tomorrow.

I'd look into that first tbh, my lowish powered Synology NAS works just fine as a Plex server using a Ras Pi 2 and Rasplex as the client at my TV.

Soldato
Check you file formats and the compatibility with formats that Plex on the smart TV supports natively. Plex needs very little resources if it is not needing to transcode but if it is transcoding a 1080p stream then that's when the NL40 is likely to struggle ... so make sure you are not using a format that it needs to transcode.

I've been using vastly underpowered Plex servers for years but using PHT (now OpenPHT) on Mac mini's as fat clients which mean the server doesn't need to transcode anything so coped just fine.

Back
Top Bottom