HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
Xpenology can be run as a virtual machine on a hypervisor (VMWare vSphere or Xen) for example and some have managed to get it running ok on Windows Hyper-V hypervisor, but generally no, it is its own OS. You've posted a number of different threads, it would be wise to concentrate on one and ask your questions there... starting with what you are trying to achieve.

Soldato
I kist want to add the features XPEnology has to windows, mainly Cloud & File Syncing, mobile sync.

I use plex for the movies and music and teamviewer for remote access.

plex can do much more but I dont want to pay a monthly fee for the extras.

Soldato
I've just swapped all the disks in my SHR array (3x 2TB) to larger disks (3x 6TB). This is now complete and everything is fine.

The fourth slot used to be a single Ext4 drive (not part of a SHR array). If I take one of the 2TB drives which I've just removed from the 3x 2TB array, can I put one of them in the fourth slot and will it just prompt me to format the drive? Or will it get confused because the drive was previously part of an array?

Just trying to figure out whether I need to format the disk before putting it back in or not.

Soldato
I've just swapped all the disks in my SHR array (3x 2TB) to larger disks (3x 6TB). This is now complete and everything is fine.

The fourth slot used to be a single Ext4 drive (not part of a SHR array). If I take one of the 2TB drives which I've just removed from the 3x 2TB array, can I put one of them in the fourth slot and will it just prompt me to format the drive? Or will it get confused because the drive was previously part of an array?

Just trying to figure out whether I need to format the disk before putting it back in or not.
If the array is now made of 6TB disks you cannot add a smaller disk
If you wanted to use the smaller disk you should have added that first

I.E. you can add larger disks but not smaller disks :)

Soldato
I don't want to add anything to the array. I want to keep the 3x 6TB array as it is.

All I want to do is use one of the disks which were previously in the array and use it in the remaining slot as a single disk (not part of any array).

Anyway, I wimped out and formatted and deleted all the existing partitions in a caddy before putting it back in as a 'clean' disk.

Soldato
I understand that you can add a sata expansion card to the Gen8 to increase the available slots to xpenology
But what are you guys using to hold the extra hdds?
i.e.
What enclosure?
How is it powered?
Which card to go for?
:)

Associate
I understand that you can add a sata expansion card to the Gen8 to increase the available slots to xpenology
But what are you guys using to hold the extra hdds?
i.e.
What enclosure?
How is it powered?
Which card to go for?
:)

If you go back a few pages one guy link 3 Gen7 microservers together!

But they only give a list of items they used, no tutorial :(

I've asked for one but I dont think they guy visits the site, or checks this thread.

Caporegime
If you go back a few pages one guy link 3 Gen7 microservers together!

But they only give a list of items they used, no tutorial :(

I've asked for one but I dont think they guy visits the site, or checks this thread.

Yeah just remembered/found that but no real info :( as you said

The drives in the other microservers are connected to the raid card and DSM will see them fine. Don't think you'd need to even add the card as a pass-through device as it's compatible with ESXi.

Just managed to create a 12 disk system using:-
3 x Microservers
1 x LSI MR SAS 9240-8i SAS/SATA 6g 8port RAID controller
1 x PSU extension/splitter cable
1 x molex power extension cable, plus 3 x 1-into-2 splitters

1 Microserver is used to host the XPEnology USB, 4 drives using the on-board SATA and the RAID card.
I've used two older Microservers (one with a faulty motherboard) effectively as drive enclosures, with the SAS cables running from from the Microservers into the RAID card. Bit fiddly to get the cables to run through
For power, I've used an in-line power splitter in the main Microserver to trigger the PSU into one of the "enclosure" cases and run a power extension from that case into the other enclosure case (don't fancy running all 12 drives off a single supply).

Soldato
Can xpenology be installed on a standard PC, rather than the Microserver?

I have a N40L but that's running fine on Nas4free so don't really want to mess with that.

Yes. The Xpenology bootloader for DSM 5.2 will work on most hardware as it has drivers for lots of hardware; I used to run it baremetal on a Supermicro LGA1366 motherboard and it worked fine.

The newest bootloader by Jun for DSM 6 is more picky as it doesn't have drivers for anything but those included in Synology hardware AND it will only currently work properly on Intel based machines.

Associate
The drives in the other microservers are connected to the raid card and DSM will see them fine. Don't think you'd need to even add the card as a pass-through device as it's compatible with ESXi.

Server stuff is new to me so not sure sure hoe you go about things.

And darkblade also made it so that only 2 of the servers were powered up, as the other 2 are just enclosures, but didnt want to tax a single PSU on powering one server and 12 hdds.

ESXi? Google says this is to do with VMware, I've never had a good experience with virtual machines, every single one I have messed about with in the past has quickly run into problems and become corrupt and I lose everything on it.
So I'd rather stay well away from virtual machines.

So although I'd really like to extend my g1610t 4 bay xpenology server to a 12 bay, I have no idea where to start.

Associate
I'm currently still running 5.1-5022 Update 5.

Should I be updating to 5.2-5967? And if so, is it ok to just do this from within Control Panel, using Update Now? Or do you need to go through all the new boot image stuff?

It's ages since I originally set this up and I totally haven't kept up to date with things.

I'm on the same version, scared to change anything. 'if it aint broke'... n all that lol. Have you taken the plunge yet?

Soldato
Or has anyone been brave enough to upgrade to 6.0? :D

I'm having trouble using my PIA VPN and I think 6.0 might be the solution.

Soldato
I've 2 spare N54Ls - now I've bought some Dell T20s - where would I look for version 5.2 of this to put on one please ?

I looked on the Xpenology forums etc - and wasn't sure what was a "extra special configured version" and an "official" version

if you can point me int he right direction please

Soldato
Rightio so the following links will be for DSM 5.2 on the old loader (I'm still using this) and also the new loader for DSM 6 when updated

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5026 - this is for DSM 5.2 and is what I am running on vSphere. Just remember that you cannot update to DSM 6 from this version.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24308 - This is going to be the best loader for DSM 6 and in to the future as they've figured out some of the DSM kernel stuff and should do well.

Junes loader will also do DSM 6 but it has limited driver support, works fine with vsphere and RDM or virtual images but it wouldn't work with my LSI 9211-8i HBA.

Soldato
fantastic - thanks very much Blizzard - much appreciated - will go and take a look

I just want stable and not really interested in many features - am I good just to go for 5.2 ? or will 5.2 not be security patched moving forward ? (if needed ?)

thanks

Back
Top Bottom