Mapped drives spontaneously not mapping.

Soldato
Hi Guys.

I am currently having a random issue on my domain where mapped drives are not mapping and the user is having to log off and log back on for them to re-appear. Also, the desktop icons and/or wallpaper won't apply so this will need a relog on too.

We are in a Windows 2008 domain and using Windows 7 machines.

I have these mapped through group preferences and the user profiles i believe it is affecting is predominantly using MANDATORY profiles. (I have no idea if this matters).

I have currently tried:

• Changing GPO to allow for network to fully initialize.
  • Changing GPO to wait a max of 120 seconds or for network to initialize before log on.

Has anyone has this before? I can't seem to work it out. I have searched every possible thing i can think off.

Thanks in advance.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Step 1
Delete everything in the local GP cache (C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\
Force a GP update and reboot.

You can use GPResult to see what policies are applying and what a failing.
That will tell you if your polices are applying to that machine correctly. If they are and it's happening after step one, it's a client issue not a server one which should help narrow the scope of google hits.

Soldato
OP
Step 1
Delete everything in the local GP cache (C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\
Force a GP update and reboot.

You can use GPResult to see what policies are applying and what a failing.
That will tell you if your polices are applying to that machine correctly. If they are and it's happening after step one, it's a client issue not a server one which should help narrow the scope of google hits.

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. There is nothing in the folder at all. Currently looking in there while a user is logged on and the GPO running.

It's such a weird error as it doesn't do it all the time. Kind of tripping.

Soldato
Have you enabled "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" in a computer gpo?

I've also had problems with "reconnect" option in the drive mapping settings, leaving it unticked has always worked best in my experience.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. There is nothing in the folder at all. Currently looking in there while a user is logged on and the GPO running.

It's such a weird error as it doesn't do it all the time. Kind of tripping.

You should have two folders: Machine and User as well as an .ini file called gpt.
Does a machine not having this issue have these files?

Associate
I had a similar issue to this before, it was down to DNS.... the PC was pointed to the wrong DNS server.

Maybe of help, but in my instance we had two separate domains!

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You should have two folders: Machine and User as well as an .ini file called gpt.
Does a machine not having this issue have these files?

Hi GDL, thanks for the reply.

I have just checked on several machines and the GroupPolicy folder is empty and machines where it's working and not.

I had a similar issue to this before, it was down to DNS.... the PC was pointed to the wrong DNS server.

Maybe of help, but in my instance we had two separate domains!

:)

We have two seperate domains on site. Although the issues (that i know off) are just on one of the domains.

Take a look if GP's are replicating between all DC's as well.

Do you mean just the standard infrastructure checks?

Thanks again guys.

Associate
Our two domains were on the same network infrastructure.

The machine still pointed to the old DNS Server, so couldn't pull all of the correct GPO's. However could still connect to the domain.

Hopefully the MS Patch fix works !

Back
Top Bottom