Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

Caporegime
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28206581

A Christian-run bakery that refused a customer's request to make a cake with a slogan supporting gay marriage could face a discrimination case in court.

Ashers Baking Company declined an order from a gay rights activist, asking for cake featuring the Sesame Street puppets, Bert and Ernie.

The customer also wanted the cake to feature the logo of a Belfast-based campaign group called "Queerspace".

The County Antrim firm could face legal action from the Equality Commission.

I'm normally pro gay rights but I think this is a bit of a knee jerk reaction from the equality commission... they've seen that some gay people have been refused something and have instantly gone on the attack.

this comment from a gay rights campaigner also misses the point IMO:
"If you are a company that is trading out there in the market place and someone comes to you, you can't pick and choose whether or not to fulfil that order based on their sexual orientation," Mr Boyd added.

The fact is they haven't refused to serve the customers on the basis of their sexual orientation - in fact I'm sure the gay couple can go back an order any number of baked goods from that shop without discrimination. What they've refused to do is to print a political message they don't agree with on a cake:

Ashers Baking Company declined an order from a gay rights activist, asking for cake featuring the Sesame Street puppets, Bert and Ernie.

The customer also wanted the cake to feature the logo of a Belfast-based campaign group called "Queerspace".

This is massively different to say a B&B refusing to let a gay couple stay and isn't simply refusing to serve gay people.

In fact gay marriage isn't even legal in Northern Ireland - so it seems odd that a baker can be taken to task by the equality commission for refusing to print a cake supporting an isssue that the Northern Ireland government itself actively discriminates on.

Would the equality commission step in if a catholic baker refused to print a wedding cake for a protestant orangeman complete with orange order symbols and a union flag? How about a Romanian baker being asked to print a cake for UKIP? White baker being asked to print a cake for the nation of Islam?

While I think there does need to be protection for minority groups being refused service in general I don't think independent business should be refused the right to turn down business when it directly involves supporting political/moral positions they're opposed to.

Caporegime
C'mon man, we all know you're not allowed free will and your own opinions. You must be open and accepting of everything and bow to the demand of every minority.

Soldato
Hang on if a certain religion is allowed to not serve pork or alcahol products(I think that happened)then why shouldn't this other religion be allowed to do as they wish?

I'm not a homophobe for the record :D just fed up of the minority intruding on the majorities ways.

Associate
OP, while you *sort* of make a point, I think your point is slightly skewed. Gay rights are not intrinsically a 'political message'. They have taken the form of an activist message who are promoting equality; I don't believe these are the same thing.
The bakers are refusing to fulfill the order based on the activists message, which is of gay rights and gay equality; ergo, they are refusing to fulfill the order based on discrimination of that equality.

This is discrimination, which comes under the discrimination act of 1995, which includes all services provided by any service, regardless of religious connotation or disposition.

Pretty sure if this went to court, the activists would win based on legislation.

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
They can bake and not bake whatever cakes they want, I hope they win this case.

I thought the law was fairly clear in that you can't discriminate on the basis of gender, sexuality, religion or race if you run a business?

Soldato
I thought the law was fairly clear in that you can't discriminate on the basis of gender, sexuality, religion or race if you run a business?

But they aren't discriminating against anything, they are refusing to bake a cake because of the message that was requested to be on the cake, not because they are gay.

Tbh, I would be put off if I was told I couldn't buy a product due to a demographic. The bakery should really have added a disclaimer next to their opening times "we reserve the right refuse cake designs that are offensive [insert whatever] gay" etc to cover their backs.

Caporegime
OP
OP, while you *sort* of make a point, I think your point is slightly skewed. Gay rights are not intrinsically a 'political message'. They have taken the form of an activist message who are promoting equality; I don't believe these are the same thing.
The bakers are refusing to fulfill the order based on the activists message, which is of gay rights and gay equality; ergo, they are refusing to fulfill the order based on discrimination of that equality.

No its still a political message - gay marriage isn't even legal in Northern Ireland, believe it or not some gay people don't actually support gay marriage. Campaigning for gay marriage is a political position... it might be something that the majority of gay people want but it doesn't define gay people as a group. Refusing to endorse/support gay marriage isn't any different to refusing to endorse/support Scottish Independence... if the majority of Scots support Independence then you could perhaps put a similar argument forward that a refusal to bake a pro Independent Scotland cake is discrimination against Scottish people and Scottish rights..... but in the end its actually just a refusal to be drawn into supporting a political position you don't agree with.

Caporegime
Two things.

Why do gays have to bring their sexuality into *everything*?

"Hi, Mr Hairdresser, I'd like a haircut. Did I tell you I'm gay? Short back and sides, please. Thanks."
"Mr Employer, can I have a job at your company? You know I'm gay, right? Has your workforce had it's tolerance training? Will they all accept my gayness?"
"Mein Doktor, I'm having pains in my chest. Can you make sure the hospital is aware of my special needs, being gay?"
"Yes, this is gay dog. I'm like dog, but GAY."

*If* they didn't rub it in everyone's face, they could pretty much live however they wanted, and still be openly gay, just not some kind of conduit to the Plane of Gay, so that everyone is instantly struck by your gayness.

I'm sure it's the minority giving the majority a bad name, but there we are.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
But they aren't discriminating against anything, they are refusing to bake a cake because of the message that was requested to be on the cake, not because they are gay.

They possibly shouldn't have taken the order, taken a deposit and then called the customer up the following day saying that they had reconsidered and wouldn't be able to bake the cake because of their Christian faith.

The Gay couple also need to face charges for the awful design of the cake.

Man of Honour
Another case of the tail trying to wag the dog. It's up to the bakers as to what they produce/sell and in this case I hope that they can continue to do so without any form of action. .

Back
Top Bottom