Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
Hi all,

I noticed they're launching new models and a cheaper version (that requires a separate speaker). Does anyone have one? Where do you tend to keep it and what do you tend to use it for? How is the speaker for playing music?

I'm tempted to put it in the kitchen for listening to music, asking questions, etc but at £100 I'm wondering if I'm better just sticking with some bluetooth speakers and switching on voice activated Siri following iOS 10 integration with non-Apple apps. Don't really fancy the battery drain though...

The cheaper one might be better but having a separate speaker constantly on seems like a waste of power and use of two sockets.

Thanks

Caporegime
The Echo Dot (what I assume you mean) has a built-in speaker for use as an assistant, so if you aren't fussed about music streaming then you don't have to have a separate speaker.

Associate
I just had the email from amazon offering me pre-order.

I've check out a few reviews and it seems a little pointless for my needs. I already have a decent bluetooth speaker and prefer to do manual searches for any other information.

Soldato
I assume being an Amazon product that it won't play nicely with the Google ecosystem?

also, if you purchased two one for the living room and one for the kitchen, can you say to the living room one "play music in the kitchen" ?

How intelligent is it? could you for example say

Play track 2 from coldplays latest album using spotify in the kitchen

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have nothing for it to control so it would be a fun toy for a bit and then sit around getting dusty. By the time the various UK providers sort out integrations with the system I can assume that there will have been a hardware refresh.

So I'm watching with interest, but not buying.

Soldato
I've been waiting for the Echo since the US launch. It will be my latest, probably most futile attempt to help my mother in her struggle with dementia using technology.

If I only manage to teach Mum how to use it to tell what day it is, and feel a little more control of her increasingly muddled life, I'll consider it money very well spent indeed. If not... well, the month of Prime trial puts it under £100 and into tech toy territory.

Soldato
Loved the concept and hearing about the US one wondering why it wasn't launched over here so very excited to try it out. Pre-ordered an Echo.

Happy in the Amazon eco-system so I'll see how it goes, first step into some home automation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom