Win 10 Anniversary Enterprise rollout

Soldato
Just a question regarding the Anniversary Win 10 update in the enterprise.

At the moment I have been rolling out the 1511 Win 10 edition on to the company machines and laptops. I'm almost finished have about 4 more left out of about 70 odd machines.

We do have an WSUS server for the windows updates and I've noticed the 1607 update is waiting for approval. I decided it was better to wait for me to finish the deployment of 1511 (upgrade from Win 7) before I started pushing the 1607 update.

But the question is how would you go about doing it?

Push it out via WSUS or do it manually?

It's quite a big update to push out automatically. And I'm a bit scared to come in one day and the majority of peoples computers are unusable for 30-40 mins because it's applying the update.

The alternative is I do it by hand. :o

I'd also schedule it for a quite moment over Xmas or maybe on a weekend.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd definitely schedule it for when any fall out will hit the business the least - the AU update hasn't exactly gone smoothly in general - I'd actually recommend putting off a bit until more stuff is fixed, etc. as 1511 seems relatively stable in comparison.

Soldato
its a big update, we are testing it at the moment and seeing what issues there are, things from active directory tools needing to be re-installed afterwards (IT helpdesk HR and other IT sub systems need these), to keyboard lay out need to be reset up afterwards (defaulted to US), to some issues with our custom finance systems (some programs needed some DLL re-registered of re-instlled).

we haven't decided how we are doing this as its not just the AU update its how MS want us to do it in the future also. so what ever breaks in this update is sort of likely to break in any other updates in a similar fashion.
we have a number of feed back items to send our desktop imaging team.

we have been pushing it manually via SCCM to our machines then manually selecting to installing it. given it takes around at least 1 hour just to apply the update on a mechanical drive and not much shorter on a ssd, and we have a large number of laptop users traveling around, or permanently home based, with over 4000 machines dotted around various locations, its not something we are rushing into. we haven't finished the windows 7 to windows 10 migration image either at the moment.

i think you'll be best to schedule the deployment if you go ahead with it in small batch's of 10 a week something manageable so that you only have to deal with a few issues at a time, but over a longer period. 70 odd machines is good to manage.

but like Rroff said i would wait if you can and do some testing wise your waiting with any specifically software and departments you might have that need testing against for issues.

Associate
Do note that if you allow 1607 to deploy through WSUS then it will stop working with WSUS, a brilliant oversight by Microsoft.

Not only does it not update, it crashes other services when it checks.

Of course MS may be pushing a different 1607 build now, it needs at least the early September update for it to be fixed again.

Associate
Deployed windows 10 fine accross our environment, but there are tons of issues present in anniversary. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone at the moment till they've ironed them out.

Soldato
1607 is the only version of win10 we are planning for deployment. This is mainly due to the inclusion of the appv and uev agents.

We already have replaced every single domain controller with 2016 and will be building a new sccm 2016 platform prior to our rollout. The guys are heavily dependant on UDI so we have to ensure this all works on the new OS

rds2016 and appv5 projects are first though

Back
Top Bottom