What are my rights? None delivery

Caporegime
I ordered some goods from online and got them delivered to my work address.

Received confirmation from etailer of my order and they ship everything out that day by Royal Mail so long as you order before 2pm.

The item was in stock.

The confirmation order said I would get another email when it was dispatched.

5 days later I hadnt received an email nor the parcel so emailed the etailer. No reply.

A few days later I emailed them again. The goods are still saying in stock on their website so all should be fine.

I then started a paypal dispute since two weeks had gone by and nothign heard so contacted them via paypal.

No reply so escalated it to a claim via paypal for none delivery.

They have now supplied "proof" to paypal that it was shipped and delivered.

They used Royal Mail Tracked 48 hours, no signature required for delivering it.

The tracking number shows it got delivered to my work address two days after I ordered it.

However, there is no signature as none required, just Royal Mail saying that they delivered it to either my "work address or neighbour"

The etailer or Royal Mail missed my name off the delivery details, it just has my company address. We have 100s of employees and nobody is owning up to having accepted the parcel.

Its worse that it was delivered on a Saturday so the offices are all closed and just the site is open.

So my questions are.

1. When did Royal Mail start doing tracked deliveries with no signature required? I have asked royal mail where exactly they have left it or with who and they are going to make inquiries to see if their driver can remember but surely a signature and name used to serve that purpose?

2. IS Royal Mail Tracked with no signature going to be sufficient proof that they have been delivered so Paypal will side with them?

3. I suspect some scrote took the delivery on the Saturday and kept the parcel when they saw there was no name on it and where it was from. But we have loads of temps working on Saturdays on site and some never come back so I suspect it will be gone for good. Should I be entitled to a replacement/refund since they failed to put my name on it?

4. I had a delivery earlier in the week from Royal Mail and I shouted at the driver for being late and was rude to him. Do you think that affected my parcel delivery later that week?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If it was you or I Paypal would have laughed and refunded the person already. As you're going against a business who knows.

True. Seems to be a more and more common thing this Royal Mail Tracked, no signature required delivery service.

Sadly in this case it was some very expensive electronic equipment so I doubt the business is going to fold over without a fight on it been lost.

Shocking customer service though from no dispatch email, no tracking number given, no response to three emails about none delivery until I got Paypal involved.

Underboss
If only this was DPD, a cross thread reference message would have been here...

Wait to see what Paypal come back with, I've never heard of a 48h Tracked but not signed for delivery method but when it comes to Royal Fail who knows.

Man of Honour

Wait to see what Paypal come back with, I've never heard of a 48h Tracked but not signed for delivery method but when it comes to Royal Fail who knows.

It seems quite common on business accounts I've had plenty of packages with the big purple 48h Tracked sticker on them, don't think it's available to the general public.

Caporegime
OP

Yeah its their new thing. Guaranteed 24 or 48 tracked delivery insured service but signature is "optional"

Obviously businesses signing up contracts with them are saving money by not paying for the optional signature.

We are getting more and more parcels delivered to work where the driver says no signature needed and just drops parcel, scans it and walks off. I presume it imprints the GPS location to the parcel.

Its not proof that it has been delivered in my book as the delivery driver could just load it back on his van after scanning it and he would have his "proof" that he had delivered it.

Or he can just leave it outside if you are closed and scan it as delivered.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
At work I've recently had tracked things from Royalmail that didn't require a signature.

As nobody seems to have said it yet, yes its a service which is available on business accounts. ;) :p

So what happens when they get lost then with no signature?

Pretty sure Paypal and Ebay both require signature as "proof" or has that chnaged now?

Associate
I'm not sure where this lies, to be honest.

Any CCTV of the site that accepts parcels, see if it was actually handed over to member of staff.

If they say it's delivered and the van has tracking, I think it's unlikely for royal mail to pinch it. We're not in the levels of them getting on temps for Christmas/black Friday.

I've had items delivered to my workplace before with no name on, just the business address, you can't always know who's around to receive it and no courier is likely to wait around for you to hunt the right person with the name down.

Soldato
What proof is there that it was delivered at your work address?

The drivers word on "yes it was delivered to that address" is not proof.

Hence the normal reason for signing for the delivery.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not sure where this lies, to be honest.

Any CCTV of the site that accepts parcels, see if it was actually handed over to member of staff.

If they say it's delivered and the van has tracking, I think it's unlikely for royal mail to pinch it. We're not in the levels of them getting on temps for Christmas/black Friday.

I've had items delivered to my workplace before with no name on, just the business address, you can't always know who's around to receive it and no courier is likely to wait around for you to hunt the right person with the name down.

No cctv now, recordings are wiped over.

I am not saying the driver pinched it in this case, just asking with all this scan and run delivery now, what is to stop the driver nicking it or just dumping it somewhere yet they have "proof" from the scanner and tracking that it was delivered?

I appreciate the delivery driver wouldn't have hung around, I wouldn't either but my point there is my invoice and order with delivery address had my name on. The |Royal Mail tracking doesn't, it only has the company name on it.

Fine if its a small business but some places have 1000s of staff and since this is a private item I am getting delivered to work, without a name, its chance of reaching the person is slim.

Soldato
All delivery methods are open to exploitation in someway or another.

I work in a warehouse where we recieve hundreds of parcels a day from various couriers.

TNT one day had a pre 9am delivery, and decided he couldn't be bothered to make it. So signed for it himself at 8:55am with a colleague of mines name. The ward it was for called about 9:20am asking if she can come get it cos she could see it had been signed for. Told her TNT had not been in yet.

The idiot driver used a collegue names who happened to be in Magaluf that week. He came in around 10am with the other 100 or so parcels he usually brings. Don't know what goes through his head sometimes. He's lucky we all like him and never rang his depo.

Back
Top Bottom