Poll: Death Penalty - Yay or Nay

Should the death penalty be reinstated?

• Yes

Votes: 321 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 432 57.4%

• Total voters
Caporegime
I'm often torn on it. Certain people do commit crimes that are so heinous they simply do not deserve life. However a single screw up makes it all wrong. I'll stick with my gut of ney.

Soldato
OP
No. Given miscarriages of justice and the fact it costs more to imprison for life than to kill if you do it 'respectably, primarily.

I'm going to vote no in a minute. But consider the situation the US faced with Osama Bin Lid. They could have brought him back to stand trial, but they executed him. Now personally I thought that decision was justified. Some people need to despatched. But I agree, miscarriages of justice are terrible and a very strong argument for No.

Soldato
Only for the most extreme crimes but even then you need to be 100% absolutely certain of the guilt, can't risk killing a wrongly accused person

Soldato
I've no problem with execution. My opinion on who exactly should be executed does move around a bit, but I don't have any issue with the principle.

What I do find especially odd is that people say "execution has no place in a modern society" and then go on to talk about how locking someone up for the rest of their natural life is more punishing than execution anyway. Okay, so effectively torturing someone by locking them up for the rest of their life is morally better than just executing them? It doesn't really make sense to me.

But yeah, I cannot decide if I'd save execution for the really heinous crimes like listening to Coldplay, or extend it to people who say "poo through letterbox" too.

Man of Honour
Any state which expects its citizens to behave with morality should do the same. Rehabilitation, mental healthcare and incarceration.

Man of Honour
Not even that holds up though does it as there are plenty of cases that innocent people have confessed through coercion or mental illness/impairment

Indeed. You can never be 100% sure of guilt all the time. If you have the death penalty, you will kill innocent people, that is a logical consequence.

There's also the pragmatic view that execution is simply too expensive considering the due process requirements.

Soldato
OP
Still no.

So if your partner and children were murdered (assuming you're married with kids) and the killer admits it in court, are you still going to be altruistic enough to spare him/her from the gallows? Personally, I think I might go for death penalty. Four years ago my cousin was murdered in a very brutal way by her alcoholic scum bag partner. He got 12.5 years. 12.5 years for murdering a mother of two who was nothing but nice to everyone her whole life. My family are livid about this leniency but without capital punishment all we can do is await his release. :(

Back
Top Bottom