How would you survive the zombie apocalypse?

Soldato
Similar threads have been done before, but, spurred by this thread: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187541 and the new season of TWD, I had some musings.

Firstly, what car would I take?
I have a BMW M5 or a Discovery.
The discovery seems to win here.
Pros:
  • It's diesel, so can be economical
  • It's 4wd
  • It's very high (so you could get on the roof out of zombie reach)
  • It's till quick and could probably smash zombies up without getting clogged down
  • You could sleep in it comfortably

And, if I had to leave home, I've thought about where I would go. Given zombies are stupid (if they are as they appear in TWD), then I'd go to a large expanse of heath land near where I live as it's all fenced off and any exit / entry points are all accessed by cattle grid.

Looks like I'm safe......:D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It completely depends on what kind of zombie we are going to be dealing with.

TWD zombies are so slow, that a ride on lawnmowqer modified to spin the blade outside of the vehicle would be the idea way to "kick ass".

But, if you've seen the new Train To Busan movie, then those suckers run like Usain Bolt. A fort with sniper rifles and napalm is the only solution here.

I live on the south coast, right in the middle of several naval bases. The people of the south have nothing to be concerned about :cool:

Man of Honour
A car, any sort of car would be terrible, unless you're already in the rear end of nowhere. You'd be blocked within meters.

Associate
I'd stay put and fortify my house. Plus I own lots of guns and have plenty of ammo... so that helps.

I'd never consider a car, or any vehicle, other than for a very short distance if I needed to move from the area. Gas won't be as plentiful as most think.

Soldato
Same way I'm surviving a nuclear fallout from London. Driving 10miles to the sea, hot wiring the largest yacht I can find and sailing to the azores as best I can. Hoping it never spreads there.

Last edited:
Soldato
A big bag of smack/heroin will get me through! :D

Either OD or get munched, but as I will be to off my face to know WTF is happening who cares. :p

Man of Honour
Same way I'm surviving a nuclear fallout from London.

First few hours would be the worst for fallout - the levels of radiation drop 90% every 7x increase in time - so after 7 hours its massively lower than the first hour and after 49 hours dramatically reduced.

From what I recall best way to survive would be to have 2 weeks of water/food stored up and seal yourself in the deepest room in your house as much as possible with any kind of air filtering a plus.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Kind of funny as probably the best from of defence is a lorry full of immigrants or as we might call them in such circumstances, om nom noms

Caporegime
Quite tempted vehicle wise if I had the luxury of choice to go for something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX8AaQcuCJY

Granted range isn't amazing and not a lot of space but can be decently armoured and no horde is going to slow you down (plus see Glaucus's point above).

All you're doing there is making a target for everyone else to try and take it from you. Same with the open area of scrubland in the OP. It'll work until some other people want to take it from you, then in fighting for it you destroy the very reason you wanted it.:p

I'd take the truck and get as far away from any civilisation as possible, then hope I can find somewhere a good hundred or two miles from any major form of civilisation and see if I could build some kind of protected area and learn to hunt.

The best way of surviving is obscurity and no one/thing knowing you're there!

Man of Honour
That's great and all that, but #Chernobyl

Chernobyl a very different scenario to a nuclear bomb - infact in terms of radiation pollution IIRC it was like the equivalent of 200 mid kiloton sized nuclear bombs going off every hour that it was burning off.

Man of Honour
All you're doing there is making a target for everyone else to try and take it from you. Same with the open area of scrubland in the OP. It'll work until some other people want to take it from you, then in fighting for it you destroy the very reason you wanted it.:p

I'd take the truck and get as far away from any civilisation as possible, then hope I can find somewhere a good hundred or two miles from any major form of civilisation and see if I could build some kind of protected area and learn to hunt.

The best way of surviving is obscurity and no one/thing knowing you're there!

It would only be used initially for getting from A to B (B being a good place to hole up) and good luck stopping that thing unless you were prepared for it coming. Trolling around in it regularly yeah would be a stupid thing.

Caporegime
Load up and drive this

to here, and once inside replace the bridge with a drawbridge.

[/QUOTE]

Along with the other 20,000 people. I always though Windsor Castle would be a good bet when I lived in Egham (just up the road). But first you'd have to clear it out, quite possibly from people with guns (and zombies), then you'd have to somehow secure it from the tens of thousands wanting to get in as well, while still being able to get out and scout for food/supplies. I'm assuming Windsor has a well, I bet your castle doesn't :p

[quote="Rroff, post: 30134004"]It would only be used initially for getting from A to B (B being a good place to hole up) and good luck stopping that thing unless you were prepared for it coming. Trolling around in it regularly yeah would be a stupid thing.[/QUOTE]

Or you just wait until the evening when you've stopped and are sleeping.

Soldato
Shotgun shot to my head.

Why bother surviving? It's going to be utterly ****e in your lifetime, survival scraping what you can, avoiding bandits and raiders. Not to mention the chance of being eaten alive.

I'd stick it out for a week to see if it would all blow over (yep, reference game kind of on point). If it didn't and things were looking grim, a swift shot to end it.

Back
Top Bottom