The Russians are coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So what do you reckon.

a) An impressive show of force by the Putinator :p?

b) A rerun of scrap heap challenge with aging ships that, while as a reasonable platform for launching attacks on middle east ** not appropriate ** armed only with AK47's, A type 45 destroyer would be capable of sinking the entire fleet within 10 minutes if the decision was made to go in with all guns blazing (Metaphorically speaking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
There won't be a war, at least nothing further than the proxy wars in the Middle East. I'll also be careful with the usage of **Don't repeat unsuitable words, RTM them :)** and maybe use the term 'insurgents' instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I think, instead of being a show of force, Russia has revealed just how pathetic the quasi-dictatorship is.

Those ships were not impressive and Russia needs to spend what money It has on its people and less on the military even if it is in this state.

Soldato
I was watching the news the other night when they showed it, and my immediate comment on voice comms was "is that Russain Aircraft carrier burning coal?"

Same thought crossed my mind. Was also wondering if they might need AA breakdown cover before they left the Channel.

Soldato
OP
I don't get why they would send such old, battered ships in a show of force?

Surely they must have newer, more impressive ships to use?

I believe that is actuality best they have./

A couple of type 45's and the Astute sub that nobody is talking about but must nevertheless be there is more than enough to keep them in their place. Really it is!

This is all about Politics, not War.

Soldato
Mind you, we haven't even got one lol. I can't believe that.

Rule brittannia!
Brittania rules the wa.....

I'll get my coat :p

Tbf its just different military doctrines, russias military has always relied on the one resource its had in spades- manpower

We used to be the same in the days of empire but these days we rely more on high tech high effectiveness military units rather than a horde, as has most of the rest of the world, a small highly trained well equipped military is the best option and nowhere near as expensive to maintain in peacetime.

Caporegime
I was watching the news the other night when they showed it, and my immediate comment on voice comms was "is that Russain Aircraft carrier burning coal?"

Even more odd when you consider the flotilla also has a nuclear powered missile cruiser. Why is the aircraft carrier not nuclear powered?

Caporegime
Nope, that's their only aircraft carrier. Hard to believe, but it's true:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_by_country

Says a lot about how power is projected these days I guess.

I guess the main question is why do Russia need aircraft carriers? They are a country on the largest continent, unlike for example the US, which is thousands of miles away from basically everywhere.

I believe that is actuality best they have./

A couple of type 45's and the Astute sub that nobody is talking about but must nevertheless be there is more than enough to keep them in their place. Really it is!

This is all about Politics, not War.

Is it really a show of force? It's main aim is to help Assad in Syria. As others have mentioned it's not really much of s big show.

Soldato
Do you think it could be rushed out in the case of a sudden major conflict?

Well it's floating ... so that's a start :)

I expect they could probably get it seaworthy pretty quick. I think the main problem will be actually sourcing the aircraft to put on it. The new F-35B fighters aren't due until 2018 at the earliest. As a stopgap, there might be some mothballed Harriers they could pull out of retirement but whether they have everything aboard the new carrier to support them, I'm not sure.

Associate
Russians are coming?

They've been and gone mate, you missed 'em. Sorry.

Surely just the quickest way to the med from North Atlantic?

Caporegime
Do you think it could be rushed out in the case of a sudden major conflict?

a sudden major conflict with Russia could go nuclear (and a whole host of other things) very quickly - a carrier probably couldn't be rushed out in the event of that occuring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom