Can you be successful without GCSE'S

Associate
I was wondering what you guys/girls think about this as its an interesting topic.

Can you be successful without GCSE'S and get a good paying job?

Whats your opinions and thoughts?

Soldato
Gut feeling is that it's possible but very difficult. That said it's never too late to study for such exams and get the qualifications outside of school.

Soldato
I posted this in another thread. It still applies:

I've met a lot of people, mainly in the engineering industry who are very successful and didn't have an A Level to their name.

I know this guy, in his late 20s who really wanted to do an engineering degree. When he did his A Levels he didn't get the results required to progress to university and obtain an engineering degree. Exams and stuff aren't his strongest attribute. He knew this at the time. So instead of sitting around at a desk and revising again for resits he spent his time applying to apprenticeships to literally hundreds of companies.

He got a good response and offers from different companies. He chose to go with Rolls Royce and works in the Derby plant in manufacturing, and research & development.

Fast forward 10 years to now: he now project manages an engineering project relating to the Trent 900 engine and has a team of engineering graduates under his wing. He's on quite a handsome pay packet too conisdering his age. He always says one of his main gripes is graduates with all those qualifications fresh out of uni can't do the simplist of things - basic fundamental engineering stuff. To him, having a grade next to someone's name is a bit crap.

The point is, A Level exams aren't the end of the world.

You can still have a good paying job without GCSEs but you must have a good plan and stick at it. Alan Sugar doesn't have any GCSEs and started his empire when he was very young.
However, from what I have seen, nowadays people without GCSEs lack the imagination to take them to a decent career path.

Caporegime
Of course you can be successful without GCSEs, IMO it just makes it a bit harder - you'll probably need to look at setting your own business up at some point.

Associate
Definitely. Just something I recently found out about: One of Tesco's management schemes is being trialed at the moment in some stores and is aimed at 16-18 year olds with 0 education qualifications. Upon completion of this, you get a nationally recognised qualification, in retail I guess.

You can then move up and up and do the schemes that get you a degree, from which you can become management, or even higher up! (Store directors or head office managers!)

Soldato
Yes.
The old fashioned way of starting at the bottom and working your way up still exists, though nowhere near as prevalent as before. Nowadays qualifications make it MUCH easier. though it's not impossible without them :)

Associate
OP
Well I mean to todays standards so without getting 10 A's or going uni..

Do you think other routes like college courses, apprenticeships can still get a good job and earn decent amount of money?

Last edited:
Caporegime
It'll be really hard. Most jobs require maths and English at a minimum, and if you're walking in there with just those two against people with as "few" as six, then you're going to struggle.

Permabanned
All you need to be successful in life is determination, application, hard work, a good positive attitude and a little luck.

You do not need qualifications for those things.

Associate
I failed all my GCSE's due to me being careless with the drink, same with college. I now have a first class degree and a job in a very competitive industry. Not only is it possible, it is certain with determination and motivation to succeed.

Soldato
Well, looking at it from another angle:

The really good paying jobs are things like lawyers, bankers, doctors (eventually!). At the other end you have jobs like cleaning.

The former require a lot of knowledge, and most likely a university degree. The latter doesn't. To get a university degree you need A levels. Without GCSE's you'll struggle to get A levels

Associate
OP
I just don't know what to do as I'm bad with English and Maths, I'm not really academic..

And I want my future to be based on something to do with computers but I don't know how to get there!

I was stupid in secondary school and just didn't care about life nor my grades.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just don't know what to do as I'm bad with English and Maths, I'm not really academic..

And I want my future to be based on something to do with computers but I don't know how to get there!

I was stupid in secondary school and just didn't care about life nor my grades.

There's lots of IT qualifications you can do! What part of IT interests you?

Soldato
I failed all mine as well then got maths on a resit, that was 20 years ago. It was a combination of having a job waiting for me when I left school and having a to active social life at the time.

I ended up doing a btec first access course, then an ONC then a HNC, I've been a qualified Architectural Technician for going on 17 years now and I have also nearly completed my RIBA Part 1 OBC with Oxford Brookes then it's onto my part 2. If it all goes to plan I will be a qualified Architect not long after I'm 40. I could have done this course 10 years ago but despite the RIBA running it they failed to mention it to me on several occasions when speaking to them for education advice.

I would say it's possible yes.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well I don't know what qualifications I have to be honest as I left school with none but I currently got a place in a level 3 IT course in a college.

What can I do once I finish a level 3 IT course?

Back
Top Bottom