Mboard + processor upgrade - £500 budget.

Associate
Amazingly, I find my current system is 7 years old. Where does the time go. This also means I am out of touch with things.

Currently :-

Intel i5 750 @ 3.6ghz with Asus P7P55d board, bought as overclock bundle from Overclockers in late 2009.

It has been rock solid and is fast enough for my use. I am not a big gamer.

I would like to upgrade the board/processor, mainly because it only runs sata 2.

Have been looking at the overclocked bundles, but don't think I necessarily need one. They all seem to be i5 in my budget.

Which ever board I go for (no idea at present !) I would like it to be top quality, the current Asus has longlife caps etc and has been superb.

Any help/advice gratefully received

R.

Associate
OP
OcUK Staff
I'd probably suggest keeping the graphics card in there anyway if you already have it. Not much point removing it when it gives you at least some graphical performance.

Associate
OP
Well slight change of plan. As I use my current pc for work, it's a bit tricky to change the board, reinstall etc etc. If anything goes wrong it will cause problems.

So might as well build a new one.

So either need a half decent case, won't need water cooling, and a power supply.

Or, buy something pre-built along the lines of above.

So much choice on the site it gets a bit brain bending.

Associate
OP
Got this so far, just leave the graphics card.

I am in two minds about the graphics card, I don't really do much gaming so £250 on a decent 1060 card seems like overkill. However it does seems pointless putting a rubbish card in there. I wonder if there is a happy medium somewhere ?

I gave up looking at cases just so many to choose from these days.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £611.24
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Associate
OP
Well it all arrived today so I duly assembled the system.

Didn't fancy a fresh Win10 install (having done one 2 weeks ago on old system) so whipped the drive out of my old machine and it worked in the new one without issue.

After installing the chipset drivers etc, went into bios and asked for a 40% performance upgrade.

Currently running 4.4ghz with temps around 60c. All seems good !

Back
Top Bottom