Build starts tomorrow, am I doing it right?

Associate
All the parts have arrived, my PC is about to get stripped down and tomorrow it gets re-built a whole lot wetter :D

I'd like some advice over what to do with the radiators and other components to make sure it's all clean.

My theory so far:
1) link it up to the tap, turn on said tap and leave it for 10 mins or so flushing out.
2) Mix up de-ionised water and vinegar 90/10 ratio and shake around a bit then empty. Rinse and repeat.
3) Use de-ionised water to flush rad.
4) Install.

Is this about right? Do the other components need such treatment? (EKWB CPU/GPU blocks?) I'll be using Mayhems pre-mix pastel fluid

And finally, my res has the option of a foam insert, a plastic "plate" thing or a tube to try and minimise turbulence. In the experience of this forum, which is best for a 100mm res?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
Rad cleaning steps are fine.

You do not need to clean blocks providing they are new. Nothing needs done to them.

I did not use the foam insert in mine because I read they can break down over time and the bits end up in your loop. I have not encountered any turbulence issues... not sure what that would look like actually or under what conditions the foam would become necessary.

Best of luck with the build! :)

Associate
OP
Great. Thanks Legend.

Hit first stumbling block, the NZXT manta doesn't support 280mm radiators up too, despite its claim.

Why do these things happen on Fridays when delivery of a new one becomes awkward?

Soldato
I'd also say if you're doing the vinegar fill it full and leave it soaking in it for a few hours, then rinse and shake as many times as required (my recent effort took 4 flushes on a 480mm but the same brand 360mm had about 20)

Soldato
Great. Thanks Legend.

Hit first stumbling block, the NZXT manta doesn't support 280mm radiators up too, despite its claim.

Why do these things happen on Fridays when delivery of a new one becomes awkward?

I had an issue with my NZXT case saying 360mm would fit at the top. It wasnt even close. Had to mod the case to fit it and fashion my own mount.

Associate
I had an issue with my NZXT case saying 360mm would fit at the top. It wasn't even close. Had to mod the case to fit it and fashion my own mount.

Had similar in a Phanteks Primo, I presumed when it said "Can fit 420 rad top" I thought that meant ANY 420 rad Not some Hardware labs one's it seems

Now I double check size's on everything at least twice :p

Soldato
Yeah seems about right. I usually hook all mine up to a tap. Just not too much pressure though.

I wouldn't use the foam insert I've seen some horror stories where they basically disintegrate into your loop and start blocking things up. You can however use the plate should you want to, minimise turbulence. Won't hurt anything.

The small tube is normally if your using a multi-port top where you have fluid being pumped through the top. Stops it from splashing about and making noise.

OCUK deliver sat/sun now so not too bad.

Good luck, Get some pics up when done :)

Associate
OP
I just bought some silicone tube and a cheap barb and used brute force to put it on my tap.

It's all installed, pump runs fine lots of air bubbles (doesn't help to have a small horizontal tube res low in the system) but that'll sort itself out.

More immediate issue is that it won't POST, uuuggghhh!!!

Back
Top Bottom